Gibson Brands Forums

Help me pick my new guitar

Big Arm

You seem to be drifting toward a 335, which makes a lot of sense if this will be your main guitar. It is simple and can do a lot of styles. I've been happy with mine for 28 years, and it definitely does blues very nicely, especially with the new Gibson '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus and the action set a bit higher than factory specs. The amp and amp settings have a lot to do with that desired sound also.

Of the 335s, I would go for a hardtail, since the Bigsby is another thing to fiddle with and perhaps more of an option for an advanced player who has hardtails in his collection. Save the Bigsby for your second one!

I've found that my hand gets used to new necks pretty quickly--within a half hour of playing. I play a variety of guitars with different necks and actions, and that helps me adjust to new ones. I'm mentioning that because when you go play different guitars in the store (which you must do if that's an option), you will probably at first like the most familiar feel.

If I were buying a new semi-hollow, I would get the Gibson ES-335 Reissue. It's the classic 335.

Archived