Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby Set Up

Don335

Hello Everyone,

I recently posted my new Sunburst ES-335 w/B7 Bigsby. I changed the ABR-1 to a TonePros roller bridge and replaced the stock spring to a one inch spring.The roller bridge worked pretty well for about a month until it started rattling for no apparent reason?I finally decided to go back to the ABR-1 and have the saddles and nut cleaned up. I also used some Graphite grease on both the bridge and the nut and the results were pretty amazing! I didn't realize how much tone was lost thru the use of a roller bridge on this particular guitar. I do own other guitars with this same roller bridge and had excellent results but on not on the ES-335. Some folks don't care for Bigsby's but I like them...but it does take a little time and patience to work things out with them. I understand the use if a roller bridge does help eliminate some of the tuning issues,but in my case the tone did suffer.So anyone out ther using a Bigsby,clean the slots on both the nut & saddles and you too could be in Tremolo heaven! [thumbup]

Don335

Good for you Don!

Never understood why people make such a fuss about Bigsbys - a good set up and don't go too light on the string gauges and they really shouldn't cause any more issues than any other vintage vibrato type.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up. I have had bigsby's on a lot of different guitars over the years. I do not like roller bridges for the same reason you took yours off. I have GraphTeck saddles and nut added to all my guitars that have B7 and have no tuning or stability problems at all.

I have the tuning stability resolved but I still would like get a softer feel from the B7. The B7 feels very stiff and it takes a lot to get a good response from it? Does anyone know how to soften or loosen the feel on one of these things?

Thanks

Don335

Archived