Gibson Brands Forums

epi dot studio

dale pierce

Is this one of the new Dot Studios with the glossy finish, or one of the previous worn models? They have different pickup specs.

I have a worn brown and it has an Alnico Classic in the neck and an Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge. The specs for the newer glossy model Dot Studio show the Alnico Classic in both positions.

The Alnico Classic is around 8.5 and the Plus is around 13.8. So the plus is a little hotter, but still not a really hot pickup.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Gibson '57 Classic for Epi Dots, but I've not had any personal experience with them. I'm sure there are folks on here who have tried several combos on their Dots and can provide more knowledge there.

Either way, I'd consider taking the opportunity to upgrade the pots, caps, harness and jack as just doing that could provide significant tone benefit also.

thanks epieric. it's an older one, the bleached (yellowish) one. it's my first semi hollow. still getting used to the feel. but i like it more everyday. thanks again for the info.

Is this one of the new Dot Studios with the glossy finish, or one of the previous worn models? They have different pickup specs.

I have a worn brown and it has an Alnico Classic in the neck and an Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge. The specs for the newer glossy model Dot Studio show the Alnico Classic in both positions.

The Alnico Classic is around 8.5 and the Plus is around 13.8. So the plus is a little hotter, but still not a really hot pickup.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Gibson '57 Classic for Epi Dots, but I've not had any personal experience with them. I'm sure there are folks on here who have tried several combos on their Dots and can provide more knowledge there.

Either way, I'd consider taking the opportunity to upgrade the pots, caps, harness and jack as just doing that could provide significant tone benefit also.

Archived