Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson .Black Axcess

e.grijp

Yeah, on the current tour he's playing one of his signature models in black (some went to Wildwood, but not all) -- not Big Al. I don't know if it's one of the 25 limiteds, or rather number 26! But Rush's producer says he used a black one in recording Clockwork Angels that he thought sounded even better than the other AL signatures he had heard. Might be that same one he's using live.

Yeah, on the current tour he's playing one of his signature models in black (some went to Wildwood, but not all) -- not Big Al. I don't know if it's one of the 25 limiteds, or rather number 26! But Rush's producer says he used a black one in recording Clockwork Angels that he thought sounded even better than the other AL signatures he had heard. Might be that same one he's using live.

It seems to me that he changes a lott more gear this time .he,s now using Fractal and has other Amps : Mesa Boogie and Lerxt Amps ? The Lerxst Amps are tuned up Marshalls, somebody told me.post-35240-029387400 1349300580_thumb.jpgpost-35240-030622300 1349300617_thumb.jpg

OK. I'm sure limited is true (since I think they use the same 3 digit serial number format as the other two colors) but I doubt there are only 25 of them. Maybe Wildwood sold 25. There are three on eBay right this second, and they don't seem to be priced any higher than other colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-2012-Limited-Run-Gibson-Custom-ALEX-LIFESON-SIg-Les-Paul-Axcess-Guitar-/120997141906?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2bfddd92

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-ALEX-LIFESON-LES-PAUL-AXCESS-EBONY-GLOSS-COA-TAGS-MINT-/221132471458?pt=Guitar&hash=item337c85bca2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Les-Paul-Axcess-Alex-Lifeson-Ebony-/251156423752?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7a16e448

Alex talked more about these black models in a recent guitar magazine interview. It might have been Guitar World but there are so many now that I'm not sure. Anyway, he said Gibson approached him about doing a limited run of "solid colors" due to customer requests. He admitted what I have suspected all along as well -- that doing solid colors meant that Gibson could "save" certain guitars that had defects in the woodgrain by painting them black. I always thought for that reason that Gibson should price the black models a bit cheaper, because it requires more pristine wood to make a translucent finish. The reality is, if someone wants a black model, it doesn't really matter what the heck is under the black paint, appearance-wise. But guitars that would have otherwise been band-sawed are being sold at full price. Alex and his tech believe that his black model sounds better to them ("more growl") than his other signature models -- he said it has the same specs as the other signatures, but every guitar is different and possibly just having a thicker layer of paint over the guitar could be affecting the sound.

I came really close to jumping at one of those black models on ebay, because I think they look cool and I love the royal crimson model I have. But the other side of my brain pulled me back from the brink to realize that, if I am going to spend $3k on another guitar, it should be something that extends my "guitar vocabulary."

Musician's Friend has the black for $3999 (original price) and the crimson or sunburst for $4299 (up from $3999). My guess is that the top on the black models is not maple, or is a different kind of maple, as a flame maple top is only used for esthetics and Gibson would be crazy to paint over such wood, regardless of what it looks like - I have seen some butt-ugly FMTs. The different wood should have some effect on the resonate sound of the guitar.

At least that sounds like a fairly plausible explanation for having pulled it out of my ***.

Musician's Friend has the black for $3999 (original price) and the crimson or sunburst for $4299 (up from $3999). My guess is that the top on the black models is not maple, or is a different kind of maple, as a flame maple top is only used for esthetics and Gibson would be crazy to paint over such wood, regardless of what it looks like - I have seen some butt-ugly FMTs. The different wood should have some effect on the resonate sound of the guitar.

At least that sounds like a fairly plausible explanation for having pulled it out of my ***.

I doubt they are using different wood. I tried out six different AL LPs before selecting mine at Wildwood. They all sounded very different. Different tree, different wood density, etc. My guess is that the one Alex has in black is just one that sounds better.

Archived