Gibson Brands Forums

Is my Epiphone Les Paul a chinese fake?

ZuluV1

Well, after Gibson EU confirmed to me it was a fake, eBay ruled in my favour and said that I had to destroy and dispose of the guitar

I wasn't expecting that!!

I had to sign a declaration "under the penalty of perjury" that I had destroyed it within 5 days in order to receive the refund.

The seller was advised and let's just say was rather unhappy about it. He did not believe that I had destroyed it and he would take legal action against me if I didn't return his property to him.

Unfortunately, it was too late, and I had already taken an axe to this axe..I sent him the pictures... It was such a shame. eBay's policy is not to return counterfit goods as they can be sold on to others.

So anyway, I got my money back and the case is closed. I have just ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus in Midnight ebony from Dawsons so at least I know this time it will be genuine.

Thanks again for all your replies and advice.. :)

Assuming the seller was legit and was unaware that he was selling a fake I'd have been tempted to /negotiate/liase with him to keep Ebay happy and then just anonomysed the headstock.

Well, after Gibson EU confirmed to me it was a fake, eBay ruled in my favour and said that I had to destroy and dispose of the guitar

I wasn't expecting that!!

I had to sign a declaration "under the penalty of perjury" that I had destroyed it within 5 days in order to receive the refund.

The seller was advised and let's just say was rather unhappy about it. He did not believe that I had destroyed it and he would take legal action against me if I didn't return his property to him.

Unfortunately, it was too late, and I had already taken an axe to this axe..I sent him the pictures... It was such a shame. eBay's policy is not to return counterfit goods as they can be sold on to others.

So anyway, I got my money back and the case is closed. I have just ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus in Midnight ebony from Dawsons so at least I know this time it will be genuine.

Thanks again for all your replies and advice.. :)

Wow...extreme to say the least.

I get that counterfeit stuff stinks. Did the seller have a chance to make right on it before the EBAY case was opened?

I wonder if he knew it was a fake when he listed it.

Anyway, if he had a chance to make right but refused, screw him. If he was informed you had confirmed it was a fake, he should have offered a full refund.

If not, you might consider sending him the upgraded parts it had back to him, so at least he can recover some cost. Besides that, I wouldn't feel TOO bad because he would only be out the 150-200 bucks or so that a stock Epi was worth.

Archived