Gibson Brands Forums

bought an Epi Dot

20_Gauge

I have a standard Dot, and have been very interested in the Studio, too, as it is a good price and has the important features (semihollow, set mahogany neck, short scale). Mine has a set of VintageVibe Charlie Christian pickups in it, with push-pull pots in it for phase and series/parallel switching. If I had a Studio, I probably would put a set of stacked concentric pots in it, so I could have volume and tone controls for each pickup without drilling holes. I have a couple handwound pickups I would probably put in eventually, but I first would put in a good set of caps and pots, switch and jack and see what it's like then.

post-19575-094614400 1353303770_thumb.jpg

I have a standard Dot, and have been very interested in the Studio, too, as it is a good price and has the important features (semihollow, set mahogany neck, short scale). Mine has a set of VintageVibe Charlie Christian pickups in it, with push-pull pots in it for phase and series/parallel switching. If I had a Studio, I probably would put a set of stacked concentric pots in it, so I could have volume and tone controls for each pickup without drilling holes. I have a couple handwound pickups I would probably put in eventually, but I first would put in a good set of caps and pots, switch and jack and see what it's like then.

Great lookin' Dot, bk. I love black guitars.

I haven't really thought about doin' any modding yet, not really comfortable w/drilling into the body or anything w/ the wires. Any mods I could do w/o permanently altering it?

have given thought to replacing the tuners?

mod suggestions(nothing too technical)?

Over the weekend I put some new Ernie Ball Strings on my Dot & adjusted the bridge to get rid of the buzz I was getting on the A-string. Sounds awesome!

I was wondering if I adjust the bridge, should I also be adjusting the stopbar?

• 1 month later...

Thinkin' of doin' some minor(cosmetic) mod'ing to my Dot & maybe my Jr, if I like how the Dot comes out.

Gonna switch out the standard knobs & replace'em w/ these top hats(http://www.ebay.com/itm/300842066452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649). Another thing I wanna add is a switchplate or washer(not sure what the tech name is) like this(http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-GUITAR-SWITCHWASHER-RHYTHM-TREBLE-RING-BLACK-W-WHITE-SWITCH-WASHER-NEW-/330786736546?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D4689513168709134555%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D300842066452%26), can this be easily done?

I also would like to change the tuners 'cause, when I changed the string, I noticed 1 of them is slightly bent(not bad though) but don't know how invasive this would be. What tuners could I swap'em with & not hafta drill or widen the holes?

While ordering a hardcase for my Jr, I was advised(by a guitar buddy of mine) to get a humidifier for my EJ so I added one to my order. I asked my sweetwater tech if I also needed one for my Dot & he said if it had a coating(polyeurathane) over the finish, it's fine as is. I looked on the Epi site & it says the Worn Dot has a "Laminated Mahogany" body' so does that mean it has a finish over it?

It's smooth & feels like it does.

Thanks, Joe!

That's what I thought.

Question regarding my humidifier: Do I put it on my EJ when it's on it's stand(out in the open). or in it's case?

The guy @ sweetwater said just use it when in it's case, on stand it's ok.

Just wanna get multiple opinions.

and that's exactly what you'll get at a guitar forum. Guitar humidification is one of many topics that are debated endlessly. I don't bother, because I don't keep my guitars in their cases (that's where it needs to be if you're using a humidifier), and also have never had a humidity-related failure, nor have any of my friends. IMO, overkill for an inexpensive Epi acoustic. And it's not a case of "it wouldn't hurt", as over-humidification can cause problems, too.

Ok. Thanks for the response Joe.

yeah, my EJ is only in it's case when I travel(bout once every 2 months) otherwise it's on it's stand. The humidifier that was recommended was just $10 so I got it to keeps in it's case, prob'ly not really needed but.

True it might be overkill on a $200 EJ but it'll always be my 1st guitar, wanna do what I can(w/o spending more than it cost) to keep it in top conidition.

Archived