Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley Budokan LP

kevoz

I plugged in my new Ace Frehley Budokan LP custom for the first time last night and found the neck pickup dead as a doornail. I was quite surprised as I expected the quality control to be spot on with a custom model. It wasn't checked at the factory (unless the damaged occurred in transit, which I think is unlikely as there were no marks whatsoever on the case) and it wasn't checked at the dealership (that I know of). I wonder how good the quality of the electrics are (particularly the pickups). I was also a bit concerned with the quality of the tuning pegs. When I tuned it up, I found a bit of unusual play in one of the machine heads. These are not cheap here, I paid AUD1350 for it. I really hope this guitar turns out to be as good as I expected. I've got other Epiphones and I love them. I got a G400 Custom (triple humbuckers) recently for less than half of what I paid for the Budokan and I feel that it is a superior instrument (maybe a bit unfair as I haven't played the Budokan yet). There has been a lot of hype about this guitar and I wonder whether it will live up to it. We all want it to be a great guitar but time will only tell (with honest unbiased reviews). Cosmetically it is a great guitar, but will the quality be there to make it? I'm sure Ace Frehley wouldn't want to be associated with a lemon (I think he would give a damn actually).

The golden rule (which I always forget) - check your guitar/gear out fully before you take it out of the store. I think guitar retailers should check their guitars before they sell them. I'm sure the better ones do. Guitars are like food - you have to wonder what is really in them...

I work on my guitars, always tinkering. But you should never have to open up a new guitar because it is not working properly. I know the Budokan's are harder to come by, but I think you should take it back and request a new one. If it was me, and I really like the guitar, I would fix it myself.

Did you call the store of purchase and tell them about the problems?

quote name='Texasbluezman' timestamp='1350676246' post='1271180']

I work on my guitars, always tinkering. But you should never have to open up a new guitar because it is not working properly. I know the Budokan's are harder to come by, but I think you should take it back and request a new one. If it was me, and I really like the guitar, I would fix it myself.

quote name='Texasbluezman' timestamp='1350676246' post='1271180']

Thanks Tex for your reply. I took it back to the store I bought it from. The tech had a quick look at it and sent it off for repair under warranty. I'm not too upset about it - you get used to waiting for gear on order so another couple of weeks wont hurt. I guess I'm lucky to have one really.

Archived