Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on selling my ES-125C

zwayne

I have a 1965 Gibson ES-125C that I want to sell (possibly on consignment at Elderly.) This is the wide body, single pickup cutaway version of which apparently only 475 were manufactured. Here's a pic of the front.

xnu4v.jpg

(Image was taken without the pickguard, subsequently put back on.)

Two questions.

1) Currently it has a tuneamatic-style (floating) bridge. This is the only thing that isn't original. It looks like vintage bridges go for $150 or so. Would it be worthwhile for me to buy an original bridge before selling it? (That is, would I recoup this money?)

2) The strap button is mounted on the back of the neck's heel. At one time it was mounted on the upper bout near the neck and there is a hole there. What is the original location of this button?

Thanks!

Very cool guitar! Have you tried selling it on Ebay or local Craig' List? I realize that isn't everyones 'cup of tea' but could save you some bucks over a consignment fee.

Its a 'toss-up' over 'fixing' the two 'originality' issues that you mention. They are fairly minor things IMO and in this economy you will probably get 'beat-up' on your anticipated selling price anyway!?! I feel that recouping any extra money spent is unlikely.

Good Luck with the sale

Rod

Very cool guitar! Have you tried selling it on Ebay or local Craig' List? I realize that isn't everyones 'cup of tea' but could save you some bucks over a consignment fee.

Its a 'toss-up' over 'fixing' the two 'originality' issues that you mention. They are fairly minor things IMO and in this economy you will probably get 'beat-up' on your anticipated selling price anyway!?! I feel that recouping any extra money spent is unlikely.

Good Luck with the sale

Rod

I've sold tons of stuff on eBay since it's inception but don't like the idea of selling a vintage guitar sight unseen. I know that lots of folks do this, but I don't like the fact that the buyer holds most of the cards with eBay and PayPal vis a vis claims & such. (With that said, I'd like to take some of the proceeds from this and get a used Tele, possibly on the bay.)

I figure on consignment wouldn't be more than another 5% in fees and also prospective buyers get to try it out first. CL is a possibility, but - sigh - just so many scammers and I'd rather not have strangers coming over to my place for this.

East Lansing isn't that far from me; I'll probably just see how Elderly would handle this.

z

Archived