Gibson Brands Forums

NEWBIE!! Some EJ160E Q's

b2theroni

Hey Guys,

First post here for me, and I have some questions about my John Lennon EJ160E...

I really like the guitar first of all, I've had it for about 3 months now and it compliments my IB Texan quite nicely. I have it equipped with pure nickel electric strings to get the most out of the pickup. That leads me into the topic of discussion here, the pickup. I am interested in making some modifications/upgrades to this guitar (in hopes to make it a closer replica to the Gibson).

Firstly, I am wondering if it would be possible to replace the stock pick up (mini humbucker) with a p90 that comes standard on the Lennon Gibson makes (Peace model/70th reissue). I'm not sure if it would be possible although it seems to be only as simple and swapping one for the other since they are in the same location. However I think the sizes of the body are different which might make it not possible to do this.

Also, since for some reason the tuners have this greenish tint (not sure why) I would like to buy some vintage Kluson-Gotoh keystone tuners that are more similar to the Gibson's (a cream/pearly color). I'm just wondering if anyone would know if I would have an issue swapping tuners due to measurement/dimension reasons.

Finally, the bridge on this guitar is black. Every other EJ160E I have see has a brown (rosewood) bridge. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this guitar with a black bridge. Mine was made in Indonesia (as I said I bought it new a few months ago). Perhaps they make them with this color now compared to past years?

Any help would be great guys!

Cheers [thumbup]

I love my EJ160E and wouldn't chance a thing. Having said that mine was also made in Indonesia, but the bridge is Rosewood color.

I get what your going for and you should be able to get all the parts you need to mimic the Gibson J-160E. You can start your parts search at StewMac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I love mine too and it was also made in Indonesia - it has a rosewood coloured bridge as well. It is a 2007 model. I have mine strung with acoustic strings (Elixirs) and it sounds better every time I play it especially after it "warms up" a bit. Has a great depth of sounds and a comfortable neck - the longer scale took a bit of getting used to but I love this guitar. It has the "look" as well!

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

First post here for me, and I have some questions about my John Lennon EJ160E...

I really like the guitar first of all, I've had it for about 3 months now and it compliments my IB Texan quite nicely. I have it equipped with pure nickel electric strings to get the most out of the pickup. That leads me into the topic of discussion here, the pickup. I am interested in making some modifications/upgrades to this guitar (in hopes to make it a closer replica to the Gibson).

Firstly, I am wondering if it would be possible to replace the stock pick up (mini humbucker) with a p90 that comes standard on the Lennon Gibson makes (Peace model/70th reissue). I'm not sure if it would be possible although it seems to be only as simple and swapping one for the other since they are in the same location. However I think the sizes of the body are different which might make it not possible to do this.

Also, since for some reason the tuners have this greenish tint (not sure why) I would like to buy some vintage Kluson-Gotoh keystone tuners that are more similar to the Gibson's (a cream/pearly color). I'm just wondering if anyone would know if I would have an issue swapping tuners due to measurement/dimension reasons.

Finally, the bridge on this guitar is black. Every other EJ160E I have see has a brown (rosewood) bridge. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this guitar with a black bridge. Mine was made in Indonesia (as I said I bought it new a few months ago). Perhaps they make them with this color now compared to past years?

Any help would be great guys!

Cheers [thumbup]

i switched out my tuners on my ej160e with TONE PROS TPKG3-N THEY ARE A PERFECT DROP IN REPLACEMENT,WITH NO MODS NEEDED I ALSO CHANGED the BRIDGE PINS WITH size #1 buffalo bone abalone dot pins,and Genuine Gibson gold tophat with silver insert knobs, and custom engraved john lennon truss rod cover,and i sent it back to gibson and they installed a ground wire to it and its very loud but without the hum and use daddario 12-52 flatwound strings ..very Beatle sounding and looking... so there ya go folks

Archived