Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between Memphis 335 and Custom '63 335

ishtar

Hi, been a member for a while, but rarely post. I'm a lefty and spend time over at leftyfrets.net because I love commiserating about our lack of options.

Dave's in LaCrosse, WI is the closest place to me that has a decent selection of left handed instruments.

There, they have Memphis ES-335s and they just got a Custom Shop '63 reissue ES-335.

I was wondering if someone might be able to detail the differences in specs between these two current models. I see the '63 has blocks instead of the dots on the Memphis, and a different colored rubber switch tip cover.

What else is different? Gibson's site, in my experience, really lacks in details and specs. There must be more to warrant the difference in price, or am I mistaken?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA. Ishtar!~

The Custom Shop ES-335-

A32166-1000x698.jpg

The Memphis ES-335-

811724-1000x690.jpg

There have been loads of threads on this already. Search this site and mylespaul.com...

I have a Memphis 335 which is great but apparently they differ in quality quite a bit. If I was you Id just check out a couple of guitars, inspect them and see which one you like most and don't mind too much about where they've been made.

There have been loads of threads on this already. Search this site and mylespaul.com...

I have a Memphis 335 which is great but apparently they differ in quality quite a bit. If I was you Id just check out a couple of guitars, inspect them and see which one you like most and don't mind too much about where they've been made.

Sorry, my brain expects performance from itself, and while I did a broader google search with "spec difference between a Memphis dot ES-335 and '63 Es 335 reissue", I got a lot of stuff that was interesting and informative. My problem is my being left handed. There are occasionally a few quality lefties in shops here in Minneapolis. To get any reasonable selection it's a day drive to and from Dave's in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, though worth it, as Dave's has the best lefty selection it the upper midwest (to my knowledge).

As it is, the plain top Memphis dot photo in my original post is the guitar I bought about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the links to Gibson's pages on these instruments. I think I am highly influenced by other manufacturers (e.g. Martin) that list the minutia of detailed specs in a grid that provides ease in comparison. While I like to read Gibson's sales propaganda, there's inconsistency in the information and specifics they share from one model to the next.

Archived