Gibson Brands Forums

I need help with my Valve Special

ValveSpecial

Hi all, I'm hoping I could get some help here. I have a Valve Special, the DSP unit went completely out, so I found how to disconnect it which I did. Well, I started looking around and found a link in the Kramer site of how to reduce the hum in these amps by moving the heater circuit off the board. So, I followed the directions with photos exactly, what was stated was to wire the EL84 connections 4 & 5 over to the first 12AX7 and connect them to 4 & 5 then the same with the other 12AX7. This did not work, the amp came on with only a buzz, no sound at all. the EL84 was glowing, but the other tubes, dead. So, then I looked some more and found another place that showed that the heaters came off connection 2 & 7 and were wired to 4, 5 and 9 of the 12AX7's. Connection #2 EL84 to #9 12AX7's and #7 EL84 to #4 & #5 with #4 & #5 on the 12AX7's linked together. Put it back together turned it on and immediately smelled something, immediately turned it off, but looks like too late. So, I decided I would undo all that I did in trying to mod it, and see if it worked. I re-connected the links at JP35 & JP43, re-connected the areas on the PCB that it was shown to cut with a dremel, I looked and it appears those are the sections that connected the EL84 to the 12AX7's and (jumpers) and the connections for links connecting #4 and #5 on 12AX7's. So, put it back in again. Not too suprised, nothing but buzzing. So, I am stuck digging a little deeper in I've already tested the two large Caps. 4700 MFD 25V, the I believe are the power caps, looks like the 22MFD 450V the stages are the burned ones. Any other ideas, thanks

Archived