Gibson Brands Forums

Howard Roberts fusion III

bbbeardsley

Hi every one has any one installed Thro-bak pickups in a Howard Roberts if so what model pickup and did you install and did you upgrade the pots. The Roberts is the first gibson I've owned that when you back the volume knob down I don't lose any highs or clarity at all. I just purchased an 04 355 historic with thro bak sle 101 plus and I'm totally blown away. Now the Roberts sounds thin and nasaly. I love my Roberts but play the 355 much more. I know the Roberts is just going to sit there if I do nothing. Upgrade the pots or go with if it aint broke don't fix it....Thanks Steven

post-51905-030377500 1356361038_thumb.jpg

post-51905-022152700 1356361069_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi every one has any one installed Thro-bak pickups in a Howard Roberts if so what model pickup and did you install and did you upgrade the pots. The Roberts is the first gibson I've owned that when you back the volume knob down I don't lose any highs or clarity at all. I just purchased an 04 355 historic with thro bak sle 101 plus and I'm totally blown away. Now the Roberts sounds thin and nasaly. I love my Roberts but play the 355 much more. I know the Roberts is just going to sit there if I do nothing. Upgrade the pots or go with if it aint broke don't fix it....Thanks Steven

My 93 HRF is just about as right as you can get. It's not needing anything that a tweak of the EQ on the amp can't handle. I'm wondering if your "nasally" sound can be the amp? My stock pups certainly are not thin... as a matter of fact they are very much between my double cut XPL and my ES-175. I don't think pots will help, perhaps playing it in another amp? Failing that by comparison to the price of a guitar a pup change on the onerous one can't hurt as a start.

Archived