Gibson Brands Forums

carry a ES-335

cherokeebat

I gotta agree with the Col. I don't think I would put my 335 in a bag. That being said I think the case my new 335 came in is a real POS.

Why Gibson would put their name on such a piece is beyond me. I think the term "Custom" is way over used by Gibson.

Mark,

Just wondering what you dislike about the new case? I've had better and I've had worse (various manufacturers), and even when Martin changed from the Geib style cases to the blow molded "600" series cases back in the early / mid '70's it made you wonder... but even that 30 something year old blue plastic (Samsonite back then.. pre SKB) is still hugging my favorite D-28 (with a few case scars)... I think the real shameful cases were the Fender shaped/molded cases that came with my American Standards in the '80's (although the Strat Plus had a slightly nicer case)... Real thin plastic and a real cheap interior to match.. Lots of guys had them fall apart...

I was asking about your opinion on the 335 case, since I didn't deem it to be the worst I've had, and actually better than some..

Col,

It feels cheap. very thin metal straps. I give the rivits at the handle a few years, When I first opened it there was

a lot of wood shaving like garbage in the bottom that could cause a scratch or two.

I just felt that for a Custom case they should have shipped the best case TKL makes, but I don't play the case and

the 335 is a work of art and I love it.

• 1 year later...
Col' date='

It feels cheap. very thin metal straps. I give the rivits at the handle a few years, When I first opened it there was

a lot of wood shaving like garbage in the bottom that could cause a scratch or two.

I just felt that for a Custom case they should have shipped the best case TKL makes, but I don't play the case and

the 335 is a work of art and I love it.[/quote']

FWIW, I would never use a gig bag for a traditional headstock guitar like a Gibson, too easy to snap it right off if the gig bag gets dropped, etc. Get a flight case or one of the TKL cases.

I totally concur with your assessment of the cases Gibson is now supplying. The one that came with my '59 RI is a total pile of junk, and had the same sawdust inside you refer to. The case looks cheap, the hardware is junk, the padding is poor, etc. One can get a better case with a $300 import. Gibson management should be embarrassed to provide such an awful piece of crap with their instruments.

Archived