Gibson Brands Forums

EMPEROR

Jazzchief1

I have an Epiphone Emperor that looks like a Joe Pass (no signiture on the pickguard). The serial # is 1060702. It says made in Korea and it has a Gibson truss rod cover and two pick-ups. I would appreciate any info on what model this could be. Looks great and sounds great.

Where is the selector switch located? If it is on the upper bass bout, it is a Joe Pass with the "signature" markings removed. If the switch is located on the trebel horn, it is either, again, a Joe Pass without the markings or a pre-Joe Pass Emperor. From the serial, it could go either way if the switch is on the horn. It looks like an early Samick serial before they started using factory code designations.

Pics would help. [thumbup]

Where is the selector switch located? If it is on the upper bass bout, it is a Joe Pass with the "signature" markings removed. If the switch is located on the trebel horn, it is either, again, a Joe Pass without the markings or a pre-Joe Pass Emperor. From the serial, it could go either way if the switch is on the horn. It looks like an early Samick serial before they started using factory code designations.

Pics would help. [thumbup]

Switch is on the horn. It's a cherry sunburst. Looks like it has original pick-ups but I dont know what kind they are. Will try and post a picture in the next few days. Thanks.

At this point, I dont think pics will be neccessary. The regular Emperor was changed to the "Joe Pass Emperor" in 1991. You will find both of these guitars from that year. Your serial number indicates that your guitar was made in that year. The only difference between the two guitars are the signature markings....the pickguard and possibly the truss rod cover. If yours does not have the signature markings, then we can only assume that it is a pre-Joe Pass Emperor.

Here is a link to some specs on both guitars (and other Emperors). The dates on the Emperor are off by one year. It says 1989-1990, but it should actually say 1991. I just havent changed it yet.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Emperor_Electric_Archtop#Emperor

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I dont think pics will be neccessary. The regular Emperor was changed to the "Joe Pass Emperor" in 1991. You will find both of these guitars from that year. Your serial number indicates that your guitar was made in that year. The only difference between the two guitars are the signature markings....the pickguard and possibly the truss rod cover. If yours does not have the signature markings, then we can only assume that it is a pre-Joe Pass Emperor.

Here is a link to some specs on both guitars (and other Emperors). The dates on the Emperor are off by one year. It says 1989-1990, but it should actually say 1991. I just havent changed it yet.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Emperor_Electric_Archtop#Emperor

How do you know if this might be made at the Peerless plant. Also why the gibson truss rod cover?

The Gibson truss rod cover is just something that EPiphone did during the 1990's and very early 2000's. A lot of Epiphones have this truss rod cover.

If your guitar was made at the Peerless plant, the serial number will start with "P" or "R". If it was made at the Samick plant it will start with "S" or have no letter at the beginning.

Archived