Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting string action

spooki

Hello again and have yet another question and the share of an idea. I went with the idea to adjust the string action on my Epi Nighthawk. Searching the web once again, it seems like 4/64th's is the magic starting point.

Unless my math has failed me over the years, that is 1/16th or close too 0.062 which is about the thickness of a new penny.

My old eyes don't handle the look about of a ruler and the top of the 17th fret to the bottom of the string. It just was not happening.

I went with this and of course the old strings that were due for a change.

I started with the low E and used the corner of the penny on the 17th fret. Removed the string after adjustment for a better visual and moved on to the next, and so on.

I do realize that taking string tension away from the neck changes things, and I did tweak the remaining as I moved along. But with the ruler thing and eye level view, up or down of your own head. Is it that critical actually?

The penny trick worked for me and seemed so simple even with old man X's 300 glasses. It was very easy to see if the penny fit. (not the glove, the penny ) :-$

Just thought I would share for old eyes and old timers sake. It worked for me as a starting point.

Hey spooki,

Like you my eyes need help seeing those very little tiny lines on the rule. Even with my new glasses that I got about two months ago I still need to use a magnifying glass.

Just a note that string action is subjective and depends on how you play and the gauge of strings you use. Anyway it sounds like you found a technique that works for you and that's all that matters.

I'll have to measure a penny to see what the actual measurement is.

Rix pretty much nailed it: when it comes to action/strings/technique... if it suits you, it tickles me pretty much to death.

As for eyes and age... well, I had better eyes than my little brother until he got laser eye treatment - then used the readers I'd been using since my late 50s some 10 years ago.

Heck, I'm just happy I can still see!

m

Hey spooki,

Like you my eyes need help seeing those very little tiny lines on the rule. Even with my new glasses that I got about two months ago I still need to use a magnifying glass.

Just a note that string action is subjective and depends on how you play and the gauge of strings you use. Anyway it sounds like you found a technique that works for you and that's all that matters.

I'll have to measure a penny to see what the actual measurement is.

Hey Rix, The penny I measured was 0.053 on the edge. Not quite the 0.062 but as I said it made an easy starting point for me. I agree with what you and Milod said. If it works for me, then that's all that matters. I will be on the search for something closer to the magic number but was happy with the results and the easy on the eyes. Using the ruler was just killer impossible for me.

Archived