Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting action/string height

20_Gauge

I really would like to lower the string height on my EJ Artist but I'm getting conflicting info on how this is done. A buddy of mine says adjusting the truss rod will do it but I thought the truss rod was only messed with if the neck was warped. Then I saw a video on YouTube that says to adjust the action, remove & file down the bridge.

So I'm turning to y'all for help. How can I lower the string height on my EJ? Is it something I can do myself or should I take it to a shop?

Thanks

Adjusting action on a fixed bridge acoustic can be difficult at times...

The truss rod is better left to correct neck bow issues...but will change action if adjusted in that context...

Many acoustics have shims under the bridge which can be very useful to lower the action around 0.5 to 1.0mm

Otherwise sanding the under-bridge surface will be necessary...needing much skill on electros to ensure accurate levelling...

Good Luck !!

V

:-({|=

Not sure Joe, ain't got a ruler. It's quite high though, in my opinion.

You really need a rule that has measures down to the 64ths and some feeler gauges. You can pick those up at ACE or OSH hardware if you have those out there. What you need done is a setup. From the time you brought it and now something might have change and a setup most times will correct it, but if your really wanting to look into this here is a write up I did for another forum, but it should still apply.

Below are some basic steps to setting an acoustic guitar.

1. The relief. With a Capo on the 1st fret and holding down the 6th string at 12th fret measure at 6th fret from the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the string. Repeat this for the 1st string. It can be zero if you don't have any strings buzzing anywhere on the Fretboard. I usually shoot for .012" or .305mm to .020" or .508mm. Adjustment is done via the truss rod.

2. The action. With a Capo at the 1st fret and measure at 12th fret from the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the 6th string. Repeat this for the 1st string. I like an action of 5/64" for the 6th string and 3/64" for the 1st string; I think that's 2.14mm and 1.5mm. Action though is dependent on playing style, guitar, and strings. You might get away with a little lower action if you’re not too aggressive of a guitarist or you might need it a bit higher if you are. If it’s too high you’ll probably have intonation problems. Adjustment is done by removing material from the lower portion of the saddle; usually by sanding. The bottom of the saddle must remain flat.

3. The string clearance for the nut. With a Capo at the 3rd fret and measure at the 1st fret from the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the strings. This is a little subjective as to feel rather than a set height as long as you don’t have any strings buzzing and the string is not too high that you have trouble fretting the string. Adjusting the nut action can be tricky if you haven't done on before. Normally you would use nut files in the string slots to lower the action. You’re probably better off removing the nut and carefully sanding the bottom of the nut, but removing the nut can be tricky if you’re not experienced with doing this type of work. So, your going to have to decide if you want to go that far.

Let me know.

"In that context"? Please explain.

The point made here is that a truss rod adjustment will affect the string height...but as said, is not the best way to do so

The other issue worth considering is string gauge...typical OE being 12's

The lower tension of 11's or 10's (some rare artists even use 9's :blink:) can lower action automatically...

V

The point made here is that a truss rod adjustment will affect the string height...but as said, is not the best way to do so

The other issue worth considering is string gauge...typical OE being 12's

The lower tension of 11's or 10's (some rare artists even use 9's :blink:) can lower action automatically...

V

Ok. Thanks for explaining, V.

I have 10's on my EJ Now.

ok guys, I just did it.

First I found a trick to see if my neck was straight(I assumed it was), turns out it wasn't. So I adjusted the truss rod a bit(was shakin' soo bad doin' this, just knowin' I'd hear a crack/break, luckily didn't).

It straightened the neck & lowered the string height to where I wanted. I'm happy w/ it. Prob'ly didn't do it "by the book" but it worked lol.

Here's a rough comparison:

Before, 2013-01-25_20-18-31_90.jpg

After, 2013-01-27_16-29-08_473.jpg

Here's some pics of the full neck:

2013-01-27_15-24-35_981.jpg

2013-01-27_15-24-58_92.jpg

2013-01-27_15-25-35_216.jpg

2013-01-27_15-25-54_604.jpg

2013-01-27_15-26-16_587.jpg

Here's the view looking down, as I'm playing:

2013-01-27_16-23-54_955.jpg

Change your string gauge

Was already plannin' to do that, Fire. While I was doing my adjustment, I noticed that my B string has a slight bend in it near the 1st fret & I don't have enough new strings to change the whole set.

I have D'addario 12's on it now, gonna switch to 10's(extra light) either Elixir or stick w/ D'addario.

Archived