Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identifying this LP Custom

chrisaillon

Hello people of the GIBSON forum.

I recently bought a Les Paul Gibson Custom. I'm having trouble figuring out what year it was made.

The serial numer is: 965057

It has Made In USA Ink Stamped, the serial number is Ink stamped as well.

It is a CherryBurst.

Gold hardware

Witchhat knobs

Black Pickguard

Waffle back tuners

Assuming it is real, and the serial is correct and genuine, what year is this guitar made, please?

Thanx

From the serial number and the features you describe (also assuming it has a headstock "volute"), the closest published SN records can come is 1970, 71 or 72.

The potentiometer codes can probably eliminate one or two of these years so as to narrow it down. This is as close as you can get with 6-digit SN Gibsons from the late 60's/early 70's.

Open up the control cavity and look for a 7-digit number on the bottom of the pots starting with "137". The following four numbers tell you when the pot was made. This establishes a "born on" date for the pots, so the guitar could not has been made prior to this date.

Pot Code Translation:

MMMYYWW - MMM = Mfg (137 = CTS), YY = last two digits of the year of manufacture, WW = the week of that year (01-52).

Let us know what you find out.

Yes, 1971, 10-19th week (1st week would be "01"). With pots made that early in the year, it my "expert" opinion you can safely say your guitar is a 1971 model, and nobody can prove otherwise.

The published records I have show 94 cherry sunburst Customs shipping out in 1971 (vs 2390 ebony), and 605 in 1972 (vs 2654 ebony).

Archived