Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup replacement

spb

I would like some opinions are doing a pickup replacement on a new Gibson SG Standard. I new SG is weak sounding apparently it has a PAF in the bridge position and I replaced it with a Angus Youn signature model. It sounded even weaker so I put the PAF back in it. I was wondering what pickups I should go with to make this guitar hotter ans sustain better. All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I would like some opinions are doing a pickup replacement on a new Gibson SG Standard. I new SG is weak sounding apparently it has a PAF in the bridge position and I replaced it with a Angus Youn signature model. It sounded even weaker so I put the PAF back in it. I was wondering what pickups I should go with to make this guitar hotter ans sustain better. All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

If you put in an Angus Young Signature pickup in your SG and it was weaker than a PAF-style pickup, you're doing something wrong. The Angus Young pickups are the third-hottest pickups that Gibson makes, and have nearly twice the output of BurstBucker Pros.

Once you've double-checked your wiring, and if you're still not satisfied, you might want to look in to a Duncan SH-4 (AKA JB).

Archived