Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES295

luvgibson

I need some advise and hope you guys can help. What type of string would have been used on the original 1950s model. Flat or wound?? Guage?? Secondly would the 1990s reissues support a similar string?

Finally how prone are the 1990s reissues to the cracking so common on the earlier models or is that just due to extreme climatic changes e.g car boot in Winter to stage

Thanks Guys

I need some advise and hope you guys can help. What type of string would have been used on the original 1950s model. Flat or wound?? Guage?? Secondly would the 1990s reissues support a similar string?

I'd say there was less variance in string types and guages back in the 50's, but that doesn't matter. You have a lot of options, and there's no reason not to choose whatever style or guage you prefer.

Finally how prone are the 1990s reissues to the cracking so common on the earlier models or is that just due to extreme climatic changes e.g car boot in Winter to stage.

Laquer finishes are going to be susceptible to checking/cracking over time, especially when subjected to more dramatic temperature and humidity changes. Older guitars will of course show more checking than newer guitars, but generally the newer guitars are just as likely to eventually show the same checking in the future, all things being equal.

Gibson's gold finishes (Les Paul goldtops, ES295's, etc) contained copper. When checking occurs on those (especially places where the player's skin is in contact with the finish) the copper can oxidize, turning green. The finish can become brittle, and the checking and greening can accelerate to the point that it becomes a real mess. I don't know if modern gold finishes are any different chemically. If not, I would be very careful about caring for a newer guitar with a gold finish.

My 1990 ES295 reissue hasn't been played nearly enough to get the 'green' oxidised effect (if this is even likely with the modern gold finishes), but it does have some minor straight line cracks to the nitro finish on the top & the base, but nothing very noticeable. I replaced the P100s on mine with Gibson P90s & replaced the Bigsby with an original 50s wraparound bridge/tailpiece. I use Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings & a 062 on the bottom E, as I play it in drop D tuning. It copes admirably with this set up.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1991 reissue and have also replaced the Bigsby with a 1956 gold-plated ES-295 trapeze tailpiece. And here I thought I was being all brilliant and original! I haven't changed out the pick-ups, but I swapped out the factory tuners with gold-plated Kluson single lines (filled & drilled the big holes to use the smaller bushings) and am gradually replacing or having the rest of the hardware gold-plated. These are great guitars!

My 1997 reissue also sounds fantastic but I wonder about changing the Bigsby out for that long tailpiece/bridge. Whats the score on tuning?

Also I see Gibson are releasing a limited run of ES295 this year. The Scotty Moore very limited edition has a short tailpiece and an bridge that looks like Gretsch type!!

Wonder what prices will be?

George

Archived