Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 refretting options

bitraker

I love the tonal range of my ES 335, but the frets are not for me.

I had them crowned - didn't make any difference; they are still too square on top.

Worse, my index finger-tip callous gets caught on them when sliding up.

Question: Has anyone completely refretted their 335 with 6150's, or some other round-headed fret type? How did it change the tone?

I play jazz and blues.

Thanks - Bruce

I love the tonal range of my ES 335, but the frets are not for me.

I had them crowned - didn't make any difference; they are still too square on top.

Worse, my index finger-tip callous gets caught on them when sliding up.

Question: Has anyone completely refretted their 335 with 6150's, or some other round-headed fret type? How did it change the tone?

I play jazz and blues.

Thanks - Bruce

bitraker, I had that same problem with my Epiphone Sheraton, however, the guitar tech was about to take care of that by leveling the frets, crowning and polishing them. You said,

that didn't work for you (was it done properly?) The only guitar I ever had refretted was my acoustic Martin D-35, but that was because the frets were really worn (it's an 1883 model).

If your tech or Gibson haven't given you any satisfaction, you may want to give Stewart-MacDonald (aka Stew Mac) a call. They handle all sorts of guitar replacement items. They may

be able to point you in the right direction based upon your particular need.

Bitraker

I had the same problem with my ES339. I had trouble adjusting to the high and square frets especially on the upper register. Also, the high E string constantly rolled off of the fretboard. Considering it left the factory with this flaw, Gibson offered to replace the guitar but I opted to refret to medium jumbos and Gibson covered the cost.

The guitar now plays like butter. It handles much more to my satisfaction and I can't notice a difference in tone. The work was performed by a Gibson certified tech and there is no indication it was touched.

I assume I have hurt it resale value but I can tell you I love how it now plays and it is a beautiful guitar. I play rock and roll and blues.

MikeR

Archived