Gibson Brands Forums

My vibrola.... again

Bullhorn64

I recently posted a forum, http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/98778-is-my-vibrola-correct-or-off/ , now I still concerned, I was reading other things about them and my seems to be incorrect,The frame should be coming off the body so the arm sits high when in ready position and close to body when rotated back. Mine is sorta like that and is OKAY but I was planning on getting the spoon arm and attaching but it looks like it will sit to close to the body. Allen Collins seemed like he was able to use the **** out of that thing so maybe someone can tell me if this is all right compared to a vintage one. It's a 2002 Firebird III CS historic.

Arm rotated back, is it not far down enough?

A full pic of guitar :)

Top view as well

I have personally met Rickey Medlocke (Blackfoot, Skynyrd) and I have played his guitar. I was (Still kinda am...) a Skynyrd junkie and I, along with a few friends who have been around a while, know almost everything there is to know about them. Medlocke told me personally that the Korina Explorers he has all have the VINTAGE arms. He didn't say why but I can imagine it was because the vintage ones are of a better quality. A friend of mine has a vintage 1964 SG Special with an arm on it and it did appear to be thicker than a reproduction -to me anyway. Honestly, I had a reproduction on my SG that I HATED because it was of a poor quality. If you want a new trem that does the job, be like Medlocke and buy an Axcess with a Floyd Rose. If you want a functional trem that looks like it belongs on the guitar, buy a vintage one.

Hope this helps!!

Bobby

I have been searching for a vintage but you, expensive and rare... I would love to meet anybody from Skynyrd (especially Allen RIP) but the real question is, does my Vibrola that i have to deal with for a little while have a bad angle? I believe it's only this extremely bent arm causing any use, but as for the angle almost sits parallel with the body, which I believe ain't so good. Appreciate the response by the way.

you can take the arm off of the vibrola, getting the arm back on the bar is trickier... BUT you could rebend the arm so its proper. if it works fine, and its been fine, why worry about it until it is obviously not fine anymore... to sum up.

if its not broken, dont fix it.

Archived