Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping Classic 57s in 2 SGs

SteamyRay

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 61 reissue SG and a Derek Trucks signature, which are essentially the same guitar. However, the 57 neck pickup in the Derek Trucks model doesn't sound nearly as good to my ears as the one in the 61. It almost sounds like the tone knob should go to 11 or 12 to match what I'm hearing in the 61.(The bridge pickup is slightly better in the DT model than the 61).

Do you think swapping the neck pickups (both classic 57s) in the guitars will make a difference? In other words, will I hear the exact tone from the pickup that's currently in the 61 if I swap it into the DT, or are they both exactly the same and it's something in the wood of the guitars that is causing a sonic difference?

Thanks for your help!

1362846072[/url]' post='1341923']

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 61 reissue SG and a Derek Trucks signature, which are essentially the same guitar. However, the 57 neck pickup in the Derek Trucks model doesn't sound nearly as good to my ears as the one in the 61. It almost sounds like the tone knob should go to 11 or 12 to match what I'm hearing in the 61.(The bridge pickup is slightly better in the DT model than the 61).

Do you think swapping the neck pickups (both classic 57s) in the guitars will make a difference? In other words, will I hear the exact tone from the pickup that's currently in the 61 if I swap it into the DT, or are they both exactly the same and it's something in the wood of the guitars that is causing a sonic difference?

Thanks for your help!

The pick ups on those two guitars are slightly different. The one in the Trucks model has enamel coated wire like the ones in the new SG Original model. The 61's have poly-coated wire.

I have the 61 reissue and the SG original and they sound different to my ears as well On my guitars, the enamel coated neck pick up sounds brighter than the one in the 61 but the bridge pup in the 61 sounds brighter than the one in the Original.. You might try adjusting the pick up height before you try swapping them to see if that makes a difference. If not, you might just have two different guitars that have a slightly different flavor so to speak at each may be better at different types of music. That's the way I look at it.

The pick ups on those two guitars are slightly different. The one in the Trucks model has enamel coated wire like the ones in the new SG Original model. The 61's have poly-coated wire.

I have the 61 reissue and the SG original and they sound different to my ears as well On my guitars, the enamel coated neck pick up sounds brighter than the one in the 61 but the bridge pup in the 61 sounds brighter than the one in the Original.. You might try adjusting the pick up height before you try swapping them to see if that makes a difference. If not, you might just have two different guitars that have a slightly different flavor so to speak at each may be better at different types of music. That's the way I look at it.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. The DT pickups (enamel coated) actually sound muddier to my ears. I'll try messing with the height. The guitar plays like a gem and the bridge sounds incredible, so I'd love to get the neck sounding the way I want. I actually just got back from the Beacon and Derek was using the 61. I guess he prefers that one too?!?

On another note.... I'm still not crazy about the lack of pickguard on the DT model. Any suggestions as to where I can get that 61 reissue (and apparently 2013 standard) style pickguard?

1362893779[/url]' post='1342307']

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. The DT pickups (enamel coated) actually sound muddier to my ears. I'll try messing with the height. The guitar plays like a gem and the bridge sounds incredible, so I'd love to get the neck sounding the way I want. I actually just got back from the Beacon and Derek was using the 61. I guess he prefers that one too?!?

On another note.... I'm still not crazy about the lack of pickguard on the DT model. Any suggestions as to where I can get that 61 reissue (and apparently 2013 standard) style pickguard?

I have seen other forum members talk about getting a pickguard for that model as well. But, I don't remember where they were getting them. I'm sure one of the members will give you that information eventually.

• 2 months later...

Sure. They are both black-white-black BTW but it's not that obvious for the one listed as "black". Cool thing about the second one is that they also offer screws with it.

f you notice a pickguard its because I didnt want to look too much like a wanna-be(lol). The pickguard isnt attached- I cut the screws and glued them in the holes and the guard slipped betwwen the pickups snug-no glue on th body.

Archived