Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG

adam79

Are the Epiphone SG's similar to Epi LP's, where the earlier, Made in Korea, LP's are far superior to the later models that are made in China, or whatever random country currently makes them? I've noticed that some of the Korean SG's have bolt on necks, while others a set. Any information would be appreciated. Also, are there any Epi SG's that have an Ebony fretboard?

Thanks,

-Adam

The factory in China is owned by Epiphone, and run to their standards, unlike the various Korean factories. I've owned and played many Epi LP's (and SG's) and the older Koreans are not better than the current Chinese ones. 1990's Epi's had cheap generic pickups, no-name mystery tuners, mini-pots, and were not consistent in anything. Current Chinese models are better in all aspects. I'd take a new Chinese Epi over a 1990's Korean any day. 'Korean superiority' is a myth circulated by guys wanting to unload theirs for a higher profit.

New Epi SG Std's have upgraded PU's (Alnico Classic Pros), Grover tuners, and push-pulls. A lot of guitar for the money. You're much better off with one of them than an old Korean with fret wear and a bunch of dings (and PU's, tuners, and pots of marginal quality).

Ebony fretboards make a guitar brighter, and since SG's have thin bodies, they're brighter than LP's to begin with. SG's and ebony isn't a great mix which is why you don't see it very often. Ebony makes a lot more sense on LP's.

The factory in China is owned by Epiphone, and run to their standards, unlike the various Korean factories. I've owned and played many Epi LP's (and SG's) and the older Koreans are not better than the current Chinese ones. 1990's Epi's had cheap generic pickups, no-name mystery tuners, mini-pots, and were not consistent in anything. Current Chinese models are better in all aspects. I'd take a new Chinese Epi over a 1990's Korean any day. 'Korean superiority' is a myth circulated by guys wanting to unload theirs for a higher profit.

New Epi SG Std's have upgraded PU's (Alnico Classic Pros), Grover tuners, and push-pulls. A lot of guitar for the money. You're much better off with one of them than an old Korean with fret wear and a bunch of dings (and PU's, tuners, and pots of marginal quality).

Ebony fretboards make a guitar brighter, and since SG's have thin bodies, they're brighter than LP's to begin with. SG's and ebony isn't a great mix which is why you don't see it very often. Ebony makes a lot more sense on LP's.

I've always liked the playability of the Korean LPs over Chinese. Also, the frets seem to be pretty sloppy on the newer models I've tried. I agree that the electronics in the Korean models suck, but it's fairly cheap to replace all that stuff.

Anyone else have an opinion on an SG with an Ebony fretboard?

Archived