Gibson Brands Forums

335 Replacement PUPs

Briguygtr

I own an sweet '89 ES-335 that I believe has stock Bill Lawrence pups in her. I am looking for that Alex Lifeson tone from the first four albums, before he switched to the 355. I believe he used a '68, the one with the trapeze bridge. I have heard another similar at Jazz Fest one time and am certain it was a similar guitar. From what I've read, these came with what are considered T-Top pickups.My question is what pickup would be best for this, as I am considering a Seth Lover, Antiquity, and 57 classic, and potentially any other. I am also looking to get a Carlton "Don't take me Alive" tone as well, or is that just plain asking too much?! Any help or experience would be appreciated.

I don't know what contemporary pickups would be most like the T-tops in Lifeson's '69 ES-335. No doubt, the '67 ES-335 I used to have not only captured the Caress of Steel tone, but it looked like Lifeson's axe, too...with the wide dark rim around the sunburst. The trapeze tail almost certainly helped get the similar tone to Lifeson's...so your '89 will likely still sound a bit different, even if you use the same pickups. I have a new ES-345 now, with stop tail, and the timbre and sustain are very different with the stop versus the trapeze.

Archived