Gibson Brands Forums

ET 290 Serial # - Exact age?

ET 290

Hello all, I've owned this guitar since 1979. I was a kid & my father bought it for me - It was used when he bought it. I have never known what model the guitar was until Prince threw Kirk's Crestwood on the Jimmy Fallon show. After a bit of research I've concluded that it's an ET 290 and the serial number is: 1015633. I know they were made from 1974 - 1978, but I would love to narrow it down a bit. Many thanks in advance!!

1970sEpiphone.jpg

Hello all, I've owned this guitar since 1979. I was a kid & my father bought it for me - It was used when he bought it. I have never known what model the guitar was until Prince threw Kirk's Crestwood on the Jimmy Fallon show. After a bit of research I've concluded that it's an ET 290 and the serial number is: 1015633. I know they were made from 1974 - 1978, but I would love to narrow it down a bit. Many thanks in advance!!

1970sEpiphone.jpg

The gold flecks you can see on the lower left of the guitar is an autograph of Mick Taylor. I only mention it because it sort of looks like a flaw in this picture.

Anyone have any idea of the exact year?

74 - 78 is probably as close as you're going to get. Even Gibson don't answer serial number/year information on the 70's Epiphones. The guitar dater project will tell you it was made in Korea in January 1991, but you know that's not true. If there is some way of decoding the serial number no one seems to have found it yet.

Archived