Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop - Best Way to Keep Informed

What's the best way to stay updated on just what they may be building, or planning on building ? I saw two specific reissues I'd have really considered had I known about them. One was a 2002 Nick Lucas Reissue - - Elite, and the other was an 1995 SJ Bicentennial with '30's Inlayed Fretmarkers.

Is this custom product process as chancey as it seems ?

Thanks for any help !!

The best way is to keep in touch with the Custom Dealers. The runs, one-offs, etc. are discussed with them. I would hate to give a list of dealers and forget someone. Get to know one or more dealers and let them know you are interested and are a buyer, not a tire-kicker and they may help you stay up to date. Things can happen fast at the Custom Shop and the Gibson web site will not "usually" have the info as fast as a dealer. If you want a Custom one-off or a custom order, you will have to go through a dealer. A good dealer will keep you informed and work with you on it. It is not really a chancey process, more like a lengthy process.

The best way is to keep in touch with the Custom Dealers. The runs, one-offs, etc. are discussed with them. I would hate to give a list of dealers and forget someone. Get to know one or more dealers and let them know you are interested and are a buyer, not a tire-kicker and they may help you stay up to date. If you want a Custom one-off or a custom order, you will have to go through a dealer. A good dealer will keep you informed and work with you on it. It is not really a chancey process, more like a lengthy process.

I have no problem placing an order with a dealer. I just wonder, however, how up to date they can ever really be. Case in point,my local Custom Shop dealer recently had to call their Gibson regional rep about a particluar build for me, and only then did they find out the Gibson Custom Shop wasn't taking any orders - for anything - for six months. I also heard here for the first time about a former Gibson program Custom Direct. Well, I'll be.

This leads me to believe there's already a " good ol' boy " Gibson dealer network in place, but how to get on their particular lists is another story. Like I said earlier, I guess you have to be a rock star, and have your people call their people.

Thanks.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have no problem placing an order with a dealer. I just wonder, however, how up to date they can ever really be. Case in point,my local Custom Shop dealer recently had to call their Gibson regional rep about a particluar build for me, and only then did they find out the Gibson Custom Shop wasn't taking any orders - for anything - for six months. I also heard here for the first time about a former Gibson program Custom Direct. Well, I'll be.

This leads me to believe there's already a " good ol' boy " Gibson dealer network in place, but how to get on their particular lists is another story. Like I said earlier, I guess you have to be a rock star, and have your people call their people.

Thanks.

Wow, more tinfoil hats.

Basically, no. Just find a good dealer and ask them to keep you informed. If they are not informed themselves, they are not a good dealer.

Archived