Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Apline White Sam Ash special

Brandon1979

Hi everyone! I am new to these boards, and I am mainly a bass player but I have recently come into possession of a Gibson ES-339 in Alpine white, gold hardware. I have been told this was a special run for Sam Ash a few years ago, but I can't find anything on the net about them. My main reason for inquiring is that I am no where near a good enough a guitar player to own this beauty and I am thinking of selling it. I did not know if this was a super rare beast or what. Any info on this would be helpful, I can provide a Serial Number if need be.

Happy Holidays

Brandon

• 3 months later...

Found this on a site called Witty's Cool Guitars (here)

"Extremely rare Limited Edition Gibson ES-339 in Alpine White. A small run of these were made for the Sam Ash music stores. This one has Lace Alumitone pickups and gold hardware with totally cool knurled gold knobs with abalone/mother of pearl tops. Pretty close to mint condition, this is an awesome guitar with looks to kill."

All I could find. The Internet has very little on this axe of yours. Did you manage to sell it, in the end?

339's are excellent guitars and hold their value well. The fact that it was a "Special Run" isn't unusual. The 339's were mostly, if not all, "Special Run" guitars. Musicians Friend and Guitar Center were the first to sell 339's. Then other guys like Sam Ash started getting runs made for them too.

I had a 339 for about 5 years and played it until it needed a refret and then sold it to get a 335. Great guitars. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived