Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Special Runs and Limited Runs

Excuse me in case this has been asked before, but I failed on researching in this regard.

By accident I found out to my surprise that some of my Gibsons I wouldn't have thought of that are Special Run or Limited Run guitars. Is there an official source of informations about these runs in certain years, telling models, colours and number of items?

Any informations on this topic are gratefully appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me in case this has been asked before, but I failed on researching in this regard.

By accident I found out to my surprise that some of my Gibsons I wouldn't have thought of that are Special Run or Limited Run guitars. Is there an official source of informations about these runs in certain years, telling models, colours and number of items?

Any informations on this topic are gratefully appreciated.

I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY GIBSON CAN NOT GIVE AN ACCURATE COUNT OF HOW MANY GUITARS WERE MADE OF A CERTAIN MODEL OF A CERTAIN YEAR, IT'S JUST LIKE COUNTING BEANS, I'M SURE GIBSON HAS BEAN COUNTERS.

SPARKY

I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY GIBSON CAN NOT GIVE AN ACCURATE COUNT OF HOW MANY GUITARS WERE MADE OF A CERTAIN MODEL OF A CERTAIN YEAR, IT'S JUST LIKE COUNTING BEANS, I'M SURE GIBSON HAS BEAN COUNTERS.

SPARKY

[lol] [lol] [lol]

I read the post you quoted, and also post #15, and quote them here:

Gibson doesn't quote production numbers. When they make an exclusive, they still own all the production rights. So they won't ever say that they've stopped making something, even if it seems to be discontinued. I think that's one of the reasons they shy away from giving out production info. Not sure though.

Gibson will not post details on a guitar that is an exclusive for one or several dealers. In a way, it is not fair to other dealers that cannot get the guitar. Although you can not find information about a guitar, it does not mean it is discontinued. It usually means that dealers have not ordered the guitar. There are several models that are still available but no dealers ordered any recently. They will not give production numbers on most guitars even if they are on the web site. Usually the only time there are production totals is because of a limited number that is going to be made.

In case I get it right, there are guitars which in fact are limited but not officially discontinued, they just stopped making them. This subtle difference looks like judicial bean counting to me, but even that should be no obstacle for telling how many were made within a certain period in case every dealer could have ordered the related model.

Gibson does release numbers for some limited models. it's part of the marketing to sell them. for others, and for standard production, they choose not to release that info. neither does martin or taylor. most don't. they don't want people pouring over these numbers and making assessments of the company.

Gibson does release numbers for some limited models. it's part of the marketing to sell them. for others, and for standard production, they choose not to release that info. neither does martin or taylor. most don't. they don't want people pouring over these numbers and making assessments of the company.

This is the reason why my question is about archives. Publishing them after the related instruments are sold-out surely couldn't be assumed being part of the marketing.

This is the reason why my question is about archives. Publishing them after the related instruments are sold-out surely couldn't be assumed being part of the marketing.

Sometimes. What if they planned a run of 100 but only sold 50? Sure, customers would like to know so they could raise the resale value, but there is no value for Gibson in giving out that info. Also, it's just a general policy. If a number wasn't given up front, then they never release it. this keeps them from having to decide down the road on every single model. One policy to cover all.

Archived