Gibson Brands Forums

Is this vintage Gibson a J-45, J-50, or neither?

Oliade677

Picked this project up locally today. It was advertised as a '50's-60's J-45, but it was my understanding that the J-45 was offered in sunburst finish. My initial thought was that it was actually a late 40's-50's J-50, as it appeared to be a natural finish from the images posted. Now that I have it in hand, it's hard to determine exactly whats going on. My best guess is that the guitar has been refinished, though I don't know that for certain. The prior owner seemed to have little to no information on the guitar to begin with. Any assistance is appreciated. Images are posted below:

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

IMG_7854.jpg

1951 J-45 with refinished top. It was originally sunburst. You can still see the shading on the edge of the pick guard from the original sunburst. The back appears to have the original dark J-45 finish. The back would be a little bit lighter shade if it were a J-50.

Is it for sale? I would be interested in it "as is" if you decide to sell it.

James

Wow - looks as if it has been burned then over-humidified then burned a little more and then forgotten. . .

Whether it's a 45 or 50 doesn't matter at this point. Refinished, , , perhaps, , , by time and age anyway.

I'd say it's a 50's slope Gibson worth fixing - can't even begin imagining the tone.

It used to be quite a chore to date these things but the interweb has changed all of that.

That crack running own the from the edge of the fingerboard on the high side to the soundhole would worry the snot out of me. While it could be no big deal it could also mean the neck block has shifted. I am not saying it would not worth fixing but just something I would have checked out before I laid out my had earned scratch.

Thanks for the input. I noticed the discoloration around the pick guard, figured it might've been a result of shrinkage. When you say "slope" Gibson, what exactly does that mean? There is a local luthier who specializes in Gibson guitars. He currently has an LG-2 of mine that is in similar condition. I'm sure he'll do this guitar justice. If you'd like to make an offer, feel free. I paid a pretty penny for it, though, so I'm unlikely to move it.

. When you say "slope" Gibson, what exactly does that mean?

A slope shouldered Gibson means round shouldered opposed to the square ones the brand introduced in 1960, fx Hummingbirds and Doves.

P.S. - a luthier with Gibson interest !?

Sounds good - I would like to see his web-site.

I paid a pretty penny for it, though, so I'm unlikely to move it.

Where are you guys when I want to sell something? Not really trying to be a horses arse but I gotta ask. What possessed you to pay a "pretty penny" for a guitar you did not know the build date of (which goes a long way to determining value) or how much repair work will be required to put it back on the road.

Where are you guys when I want to sell something? Not really trying to be a horses arse but I gotta ask. What possessed you to pay a "pretty penny" for a guitar you did not know the build date of (which goes a long way to determining value) or how much repair work will be required to put it back on the road.

Seemed like a decent enough opportunity to pick up a guitar that, under normal circumstances, would cost significantly more. I recognized that it was an older Gibson from the neck stamp and the teardrop pick guard. I've had the local luthier work on 5-6 guitars, and he's usually very reasonable. If the quote he gave me for the LG-2 is similar to what he will quote on the J45, I'd be very happy with the final cost.

Talked to my luthier. Based on the pictures and the description I provided, he quoted me $600. There's a crack on the side that is not pictured. Between the cracks, nut and saddle replacement, and cleaning up the neck and body, that doesn't sound unreasonable. He's picking up the guitar tomorrow and will discuss options with me. I'll be sure to post pictures once she's all put together.

Talked to my luthier. Based on the pictures and the description I provided, he quoted me $600. There's a crack on the side that is not pictured. Between the cracks, nut and saddle replacement, and cleaning up the neck and body, that doesn't sound unreasonable. He's picking up the guitar tomorrow and will discuss options with me. I'll be sure to post pictures once she's all put together.

Great - look forward to follow the serial. .

Archived