Gibson Brands Forums

335 Upgrades? pickups, bigbsy?

pipi1980

Hey All,

I have a 1978 SA 700 (Greco - 335 Model). Such a cool guitar to play.

I'm wanting to give it some 'upgrades'

I have a Bigsby B7 that I'm looking to install on the guitar. I'm looking at one of these Vibramate V7 kits, that way I don't need to drill any holes on the body of the guitar, and in future if I wish to take off the trem, it will be ok. Has anyone experienced playing with one of these? are they reliable and tough enough for bends? or is it gonne rip out of the body? lol

The nut is quite old, so am looking at replacing it with a graphite nut.. if i install the Bigsby, I'm thinking the graphite nut will also help with it staying in tune.

Looking at getting some locking tuners. Not sure which ones to get. Either get the Scahller ones that lock from the rear. (http://www.ballurio.com/images/BGImages/SchallerLockingTuner.jpg) or the Kluson design ones that lock down from the front? (http://www.toneproskluson.com/wp-content/uploads/TPKB3L_F_big.jpg) - Is one better than the other?

Lastly, some new pickups. what kind of pickups do you recommend for more of a rock sound? I've read with the right pickup combination, these guitars can rock out!

So far, am loving the hollow body!!

:)))

Not sure about the tremolo or locking tuners since I have neither on any of my guitars but the tusq nut is a pretty good upgrade if you are not going with bone that is. I have them on alot of my guitars and I can't complain. As for the pickups, I love the Gibson Classic for the neck and the Gibson Classic Plus for the bridge. I won't say that these pickups can do it all, but there is not much they can't do IMHO. Alnico II magnets like (some) of the originals and lower output in the neck (about 7.5 but I have put some in that measured closer to 8K) and 8.3K for the bridge. Every time I put a set of these in a guitar I feel like I got a great deal since you can pick them up for less than $100 on ebay. There are some other great ones out there, the Seymour Duncan Blues set (A pair of their 59's), which is their take on a PAF, Alnico V I believe with pretty versatile output. I put a set into a cheap Ibanez (replacing some ceramic HBs) and the difference was dramatic. There are so many good PAF's out there now that you can really dial in what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendation is take it to a luthier. Pay what it cost and it's granted to have a longer life. If I was you I'd swap the 57's for some dogear P90's, but that's just my opinion. Maybe you could order a nut out of articifical bone and make a luthier put it on. Bone like structures are probably more durable than some cheap plastic.

Archived