Gibson Brands Forums

Rare SG Modification?

capmaster

Just encountered this picture from 1972 showing Sparks with their then-guitarist Earle Mankey playing an SG with a Jag-style whammy:

London1.jpg

Never seen anything like this one before. Was it a mod perhaps common before my guitar-playing days?

That's different. Never seen one of those on a Gibson before. Looks pretty cool though IMO!! [biggrin]

Sparks were - and still are - rather different indeed. Other than later, in 1972 the use of double bass drums was pretty unusual.

LOL, no, that is not mine. I am both an SG Classic and Jazzmaster abuser, but for me it is only Bigsbys on my SGs. I found this photo on the net and they said the SG body was a touch too shallow for the Jazzmaster tremolo unit so they had to sacrifice some spring tension (there's a vertical screw that tightens/loosens the spring).

That bridge - it's a Mastery. They are the crème de la crème of replacement bridges for a Fender offset. They ain't cheap, either, which is why I prefer a plain old Mustang bridge. I am surprised they used a Mastery because the radius most likely would not match.

Thank you very much for your infos, EVOL. Looking at the downside on pics on the web I wondered how they managed fitting it into the SG body.

I'm with you about the Mastery bridge, too, if it's made to match those rather small radiused Fender boards, it just can't match the SG. I guess Mustangs and Jaguars are featuring 7 1/2"...

Archived