Gibson Brands Forums

1966 ES-335 TDC

samcham

A friend of mine brought by a guitar that belongs (or belonged) to her ex-husband. (She's told him numerous times to come get it, but he hasn't!)

Turns out it's an old ES-335 TDC, with a stop tailpiece. Researching the serial number, I learned that this one was made in either 1966 or 1969. I sent a few pics to Gibson, and they replied:

"This serial number dates to 1966. Also, in the Gibson shipping ledger archives, the serial number 854940 shows an ES-335TDC model shipped from the Kalamazoo, MI factory on 1-7-1967(so it was likely made in late 1966)."

The pics I took of the front and back came out too blurry to show any detail, but here are the ones I have. https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4VC48Q

the finish is in pretty rough shape. It's probabl a severely faded cherry finish that looks more like walnut now. Tons of cracks in the lacquer, bindings have yellowed a lot, but the neck is straight and the action is nice. A little fret wear, but nothing that a fret dress would take care of.

My friend is wondering what it's worth, and what to do with it. (She's offered to leave it with me, so somebody will actually play it!) I'm wondering how rare the TDC model is, because i can't find much about it online.

Sam, sounds like a nice guitar that's had some modifications. I can't tell much from those pictures other than that the truss rod cover has been changed. If it has a stop tail piece and not a trapeze tail piece then it has been modified with holes drilled for the tail piece.

TDC stands for Thinline, Double pickup and Cherry finish. That would be the standard ES-335 model for that year.

I'd be interested in making an offer on it if you're interested in selling.

Sam, sounds like a nice guitar that's had some modifications. I can't tell much from those pictures other than that the truss rod cover has been changed. If it has a stop tail piece and not a trapeze tail piece then it has been modified with holes drilled for the tail piece.

TDC stands for Thinline, Double pickup and Cherry finish. That would be the standard ES-335 model for that year.

I'd be interested in making an offer on it if you're interested in selling.

Thanks. I'm hoping she will let me have some more time with it so I can get a better look and get better pics. If she decides to sell it, I'll look you up.

1056 were shipped in 1966, 3122 were shipped in 1967. The 2014 VG Price guide lists it from $5,200 to $6,500. Being modified would bring it down a bit from there. Surf eBay & Gbase & see what others are asking. Watch what they actually sell for. Many people installed a stop tailpiece to improve sustain in those years that they were only available with a trapeze tailpiece or Lyre tailpiece. Mine was custom ordered with a Bigby. Here is a photo of my 1967.

1967GibsonES-335TDC.jpg

Archived