Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone identify this guitar please?

cazsendall

I believe it to be an ES-330TD based on appearance, made in 1960 based on the serial number. I don't want to guess the value.

If you give George Gruhn $50 he will do an appraisal for insurance purposes and you can figure the actual market value to be about 60-70% of that dollar amount.

I believe it to be an ES-330TD based on appearance, made in 1960 based on the serial number. I don't want to guess the value.

If you give George Gruhn $50 he will do an appraisal for insurance purposes and you can figure the actual market value to be about 60-70% of that dollar amount.

Thank you

Perhaps the latter part of 1960, based on the reflector-top control knobs.

The tailpiece appears to be an Epiphone Trem-o-tone. Gibson was building Epiphone guitars around that time, so there's sort of a connection there. As I understand it, the Trem-o-tone was introduced in 1961. Yours is incomplete. It would have looked like this originally:

6tremotone.jpg

A standard trapeze tailpiece for a 330 would have been this type:

15236_Gibson_ES-330_Vintage_Sunburst_Trapeze_T08581_a.jpg

Your tuners are not original, and this will bring the value down to some degree.

The black ring surrounding your pickup selector toggle switch is a bit unusual, but is probably original.

=====

In terms of market value, you can check ebay completed auctions, and you can find a range of asking prices (just as a guideline) here: http://www.gbase.com/gear?q=gibson%20es330&year=1960

2-pickup models like yours are worth more than the single-pickup version (ES-330T). Blond finish is worth more than sunburst. Yours appears to be in very nice shape, but any damage (neck cracks, etc) or repairs will bring the value down to some extent.

In terms of dealing with Mr. Gruhn, what typically happens is that you can actually sell an instrument to him for 60% of the appraised value; or, consign it to him and you would receive 80% of the eventual sale price (20% would be his commission fee).

Beautiful guitar! (I had a very similar 1960 example many years ago)

Archived