Gibson Brands Forums

Rejuvenating an old Challenger 1

Sollophonic

I have just acquired an old Gibson Challenger which dates from 1983.

It has had a tough life, it was played in a few punk bands back in the time, and arrived to me in a bit of a sorry state. Someone had scratched (a signature??) into the back of the headstock, over part of the serial number, so I had to sand that back and refinish, while still trying to preserve the number.

The wiring needed attention, as did the action. I also had to deal with a couple of high frets up the top end of the neck, to get the action lower. The bridge is a solid Schaller one, which is stock apparently

GibsonChallengerAsIsRearAngle_zpsctole8tp.jpg

After a bit of work, it now plays and sounds great, the pickup is a real rocker, pretty high output. Sure it is a low end Gibson from probably the nadir of production, but it has a certain punk rock appeal, and has a nice playable neck too.

GibsonChallengerRestored2_zps28moz9rl.jpg

• 1 month later...

The whole Challenger/Sonex/Invader series was a departure for Gibson for sure, and angered many Gibson purists but I will defend it to the end because it was to fill a marketing need. Gibson wanted something under $500 and that was what worked for them at the time. And they sold a bunch.

Nice save. Keep it funky as you can; it has history.

Archived