Gibson Brands Forums

2014 SG Bass potting pickup?

pvr

To my experience careful (!) retightening of the internal screws and sticking shallow self-adhesive felt stripes on both sides along the (by the way mounted at a dead spot of the magnet and thus non-functional) "pole" screws will help. At least it did for the neck pickups of the two SG Basses of mine made in 2011 and 2012.

I'm considering potting the neck pickup as it's currently unusable at higher volumes plus overdrive, squeals like a pig.

Has anyone done this to their SG?

Yep - I wax-potted the mudbucker on the SG Std I had, and it didn't help much. I blew the horn fuse on my Ampeg 4-10 cab a couple of times just by turning toward the amp to adjust it. I think the problem was my doing, as I like a deep low-end combined with crisp highs (which the SG doesn't do well); I was always boosting the treble on the amp to get that sound out of the SG which caused the squeal. I eventually solved that problem by installing a full sized humbucker at the bridge - the 2 pups combined gave me the tone I like without the squeal. You do have to route the body for a full-size HB, but the tone puts the mini HB to shame. The best pup for this is the Gibson TB+; it's pretty hot & sounded great with the neck pup or all by itself.

Here's a link to another post showing the SG with a Lace Hemi installed. That pup was excellent as well. http://forum.gibson....005-sg-is-gone/

Archived