Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul weird one

Damixa

It was a limited mass-production facility.

Pots are pots.

They probably bought a huge batch of them, and had many of them in bench-stock leftover from whatever batch buy.

My 2003 Subaru has many factory-original parts on it that were probably produced for the Outback family of vehicles in great numbers, from four or five years earlier.

Just my thinking out loud.

[unsure]

How can you tell unaltered factory fitted from those installed by someone who knew what they were doing? It can be hard to know.

Pots are only a guide, they don't actually prove anything. For all we know, the guitar could have been altered, and even put back to "stock" at some point. Unless you know where the guitar has been, there really is no way to know.

Having said that, it's still interesting, and pot dates always provide clues. We know the guitar wasn't made in 1965 or 66 being as no LP's were made then.

Thanks all.

Yes it's interesting, of course I cannot really tell if they've been replaced but if they were you would expect pots from the year of replacement or did they just have some old pots hanging around? I suppose all is possible.

I just thought there may be a possibility of a stock answer from you GibboGurus.

My pots work great so I'm happy anyway.

Thanks again all.

Yes it's interesting, of course I cannot really tell if they've been replaced but if they were you would expect pots from the year of replacement or did they just have some old pots hanging around? I suppose all is possible.

I might have explained that, sorry.

While it's not that common for Gibson or Fender to have pots laying around in a parts drawer, it's more common for luthiers or techs to have pots laying around for years. Also, for venders to have them too, that is, back in the brick and mortar days before the internet.

Archived