Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Special & Special II

tku

Copy from the previous forum:

Hello!

Recently took up playing guitar and now planning on obtaining an instrument of my own. Epiphone's low end pieces seem to be ideal for starting out, so I am going for one of those.

Browsing through numerous online shops and articles, I settled upon the Special (II) model. One thing remained a mystery, however. Namely, the difference between Special and Special II. I live in Europe (Denmark, but not Danish) and I haven't seen the "II" version being sold anywhere. The shops, catalogs, web-retailers etc. all seem to have only the Special. Google seems to give loads of info and reivews on the II, but no European retailers.

So, I am wondering if it is an American-only edition or something similar? I wouldn't be missing out on much getting the Special from my local retailer and not ordering the II from.. I don't know where? )

Hope I made myself comprehendable & thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry if this topic has gone through before, I was unable to find any results.

Best regards,

TK

When I search on musicians friend "epiphone special" this is what I got:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=epiphone+special

(your going to have to copy and past the link)

From there, the Special II is a Les Paul with 2 humbuckers.

The Special Les Paul a junior with 1 humbucker.

The SG is a special.

So mainly the thing to decide on is what's available for you to buy, what feels good too you, and what you want the guitar to look like. I'd recommend going to a store, see what's available, and try them and and pick your favorite.

Take a look at Thomann's inventory.

These days the only LP Special is the Special II (excluding the limited Japanese editions) with the bolt-on neck.

Maybe most retailers just find it too confusing to include the "II" designation.

Make a wise desicion and buy a Les Paul Studio instead, don't waste your money on a bolt-on Epiphone unless you know what you're doing.

The Studio will last many, many years longer, give you much more pleasure and if you ever want to trade it in for something fancier, you'll get at least some money back.

Archived