Gibson Brands Forums

70's Epiphone MIJ fT-335

Richs53

Good day to all,

I am going to look at an 70's Epiphone MIJ fT-335 and I know this is the best place to get the real scoop. The owner said it is playable but been around the block. I would like your opinion to how it can be upgraded ie Bone saddle/Nut. Could someone advise about the woods are they solid or laminated? Any info would be helpful.

Are these guitars worth putting a few buck into to restore?

Looking for a nice beater that is not a dreadnaught.

Many Thanks

PS: Iconoclast is a member that was banned from here for trashing folks and generally being a sociopath, so don't bother trying to PM him.

He also brought down the Epi Wiki pretty much single-handedly.

Still, he can't seem to keep away from here, he seems to monitor this site continually, looking for more ways to pump up his patehtic vendettas...

Cheers, "Wingnut"

This vintage of Epiphone was susceptible to neck block failure. Some were fixed under warranty, some not.

I had to re-set my FT145SB's neck. I posted a procedure I used to repair it. The procedure will show you the mode of failure. Here is how I fixed it:

> > > Fixing a Broke Neck Norlin FT < < <

Being the upscale model, it might be worth a hundred or so to fix the neck, if need be. For the lower level models, it may not be cost effective. But if you like the way it sounds and / or it is an heir loom, then it is worth fixing.

If you do the work yourself, you can get it done for about $20.00 worth of materials and an enjoyable weekend.

Here is a link to a site that has a 1974 catalog. the FT335 was a fancied up FT135, which was a fancied up FT130. So, for this style 'Grand Auditorium" or "000", it was top of the line. FYI, in this catalog, 'natural spruce' means laminated.

> > > Catalog < < <

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Archived