Gibson Brands Forums

New/Old Genesis

bkrejcik

Ok, I'm pretty excited about an Epiphone Genesis bass I just bought. I can't post pics yet, but it seems a bit odd, and I'm hoping for some advice/help. It's black, apparently stock, and well-used. It's big-sounding, and makes great noise in all switch positions (although pretty thin on one combination, but I haven't cleaned out the electronics yet). The Ohms measure (Rhythm/Treble/both) 6.7/3.3/6.6 and, with the mini-toggle flipped, .46/13.1/13.1. That .46 is the thin-sounding one. It has a painted-on logo, not inlaid, and the imprinted serial number is 0400063. It's a laminated neck, 3 pieces with 2 wings added for the full headstock-width. It appears to be maple, same as the body. It's a pale wood, where the paint is worn off. It needs two new bridge saddles or a replacement bridge, and the little cover button is missing off the back of one of the tuners. I figure it's from the 70s or 80s (don't know, really), and is a cool bass, unique to Epiphone. I almost bought a Genesis guitar about 10 years ago (about $350, if I recall right) and kind of kicked myself for not doing it. So what is the deal with the origin and date of manufacture, where do I get parts, and what is this worth if I don't bond with it? I'm probably going to keep it, as it matches my black Dot in a way. Well, it's a black Epiphone electric. What say ye?

I say "send it to me" [thumbup]

One forum member, brianh, is our resident Genesis Guru... including recently acquiring one of your basses.

Search down the threads here for a couple of discussions re his & another Genesis bass to recently came to light on eBay.

Cheers,

I say "send it to me" [thumbup]

One forum member, brianh, is our recent Genesis Guru... including recently acquiring one of your basses.

Search down the threads here for a couple of discussions re his & another Genesis bass to recently came to light on eBay.

Cheers,

I've seen only the two posts about the Genesis basses. Not quite all the info I'm looking for. I already located and ordered a set of saddles from Allparts, so I'll be restoring to stock before I consider changing anthing. Really looking forward to firing it up for real! It's a bit "rode hard and put away wet," but that just means I don't have to worry about putting a ding in it. I have a feeling the brand-new sticker is covering up a bad place where somebody used a pick hard, but no worries. I would like to know how old it is, and it is interesting that it actually might be US-made.

Ok, wherever it's from I got new saddles for it from Allparts (listed to fit Gibson bridges, of course, but they drop right in). The bass and its case both cleaned up reasonably well. Now I have to string it up, and its bridge is a little weird, as far as the fit of the ball-end. Not quite sure what to think. Most basses seem to be string-through, but this is a top-loader, and the barrels turn at funny angles.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those interested: Great bass. Neck is solid, tones are great, look is unique. No issues (unless you count the natural, time-induced relic job). Hangs very well on a strap, excellent balance and not heavy. Very smooth-playing neck.

Paraphrasing brianh from somewhere along the line...

"There is no evidence that they were ever made anywhere other than Taiwan"

Although I agree with this, that headsock logo is the same one they used for the American Series (consisting of the Spirit (similar to the Del-Ray, Spotlight), SG Special II, USA Map Guitar) made in Kalamazoo in 1982. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a leftover from Tawain that was assembled or painted in K-zoo. Of course, this is purley speculation.

I did, however, at some point run across a Ripper bass prototype that was made in Kalamazoo. It was slightly different and called something else, but it was definitley made from a Ripper. It was a one-off made by an employee and never went in to production. I'll have to see If I can find the pic of it. I saved it somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Update for those interested: Great bass. Neck is solid, tones are great, look is unique. No issues (unless you count the natural, time-induced relic job). Hangs very well on a strap, excellent balance and not heavy. Very smooth-playing neck.

Yep, they're actually a very cool closet classic and mine plays pretty well and sounds great. Not exactly a Sadowsky or Alembic, but not bad at all for short coin and built like ten men.

I bought new saddles too, but I found the Allparts versions too shallow so they didn't seat properly. At Hungrycat's suggestion, I put a Hipshot Supertone on it, and it plays and sounds far better than before.

Some links:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61777-hnbd-genesis-bass/page__st__20

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/63902-genesis-bass-for-sale-on-ebay/page__p__865506__hl__%2Bgenesis+%2Bbass__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=865506

At this point I'm keeping it as-is. The saddles do not wiggle around (although now I'll have to check that they're down on the bridge-plate!), and I have to re-intonate, as the strings have stretched out. I actually think the bass is mahogany. If I end up having any technical problem with the bridge and were to decide to keep it forever, I'd put on the Hipshot, or whatever worked right. Its sound is really great. I don't really have a reason to keep it, as I rarely play bass and already have one (Squier Musicmaster Vista Series), so if someone made me a good offer I'd be interested, but I do like Epiphones, and this one is what I consider "cool."

Yes they are solid mahogany, as were all the Geni guitars. You'd be wise to hang on to it, they are fairly rare especially in unmolested condition.

Thanks for your (more expert than mine) contribution. I did at first think the bass was maple, having had an all-maple Gibson RD Standard bass some years ago. It was cool, but weighed a ton, and it eventually went away. Rather sadly. I actually like the Epi better, although the RD was very cool-looking. Having checked the wiring (stock and solid) and cleaned the switches and pots, the sound is all the same, so either one of the pickups has developed a weak coil or the mini-switch has become unhappy. Either way, it plays great as-is, and I'm so totally old-school as to want to just keep it stock as much as possible. I like to either keep things the way they are or modify them to work better without looking different. Vintage is better, right? Not really an old instrument, but a kind of classic, at least.

Thanks for your (more expert than mine) contribution. I did at first think the bass was maple, having had an all-maple Gibson RD Standard bass some years ago. It was cool, but weighed a ton, and it eventually went away. Rather sadly. I actually like the Epi better, although the RD was very cool-looking. Having checked the wiring (stock and solid) and cleaned the switches and pots, the sound is all the same, so either one of the pickups has developed a weak coil or the mini-switch has become unhappy. Either way, it plays great as-is, and I'm so totally old-school as to want to just keep it stock as much as possible. I like to either keep things the way they are or modify them to work better without looking different. Vintage is better, right? Not really an old instrument, but a kind of classic, at least.

I rather think the switch is the culprit. No harm in changing that out, it's not a Stradivarius or '59 goldtop Les Paul, and it will be infinitely more enjoyable to play if you can split the coils.

I took mine completely apart, shielded the control cavity, rewired it with cloth wire and replaced the tone cap and pots. Also put that Hipshot bridge on. All the original parts are in a plastic bag that my son can sell with it when I'm dead and gone.

I rather think the switch is the culprit. No harm in changing that out, it's not a Stradivarius or '59 goldtop Les Paul, and it will be infinitely more enjoyable to play if you can split the coils.

I took mine completely apart, shielded the control cavity, rewired it with cloth wire and replaced the tone cap and pots. Also put that Hipshot bridge on. All the original parts are in a plastic bag that my son can sell with it when I'm dead and gone.

I suspect the miniswitch, too, and will change it whenever I get motivated. Did you find much difference when you shielded it? Perhaps just in single-coil mode. Did you have to drill a bunch of holes to install the Hipshot?

I suspect the miniswitch, too, and will change it whenever I get motivated. Did you find much difference when you shielded it? Perhaps just in single-coil mode. Did you have to drill a bunch of holes to install the Hipshot?

I replaced the mini switch, but kept the original 3-way. I had bought a Switchcraft replacement, but it was defective (!?) so I just stuck the old 3-way back in and it works a champ.

The Hipshot fits right on the existing posts, no drilling or any mods necessary. It's a HUGE improvement....

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the mini switch, but kept the original 3-way. I had bought a Switchcraft replacement, but it was defective (!?) so I just stuck the old 3-way back in and it works a champ.

The Hipshot fits right on the existing posts, no drilling or any mods necessary. It's a HUGE improvement....

So now, only money is holding me back....Well, I'm going to intonate it a bit better and bring it as-is to practice and see what happens.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived