Gibson Brands Forums

need help identifying vintage Gibson tenor guitar

CFO

Hello, I am new to the site. I came here looking for answers about my Tenor guitar. I'd like to find out what year it is and also what model. I think it is a TG-0, but I am not sure and I do not know what year it is. The number stamped on the neck block inside is 550. It is all original (except for the pegs that hold the strings in the bridge). I have attached some photos here. If you can help me identify the year and model that would be great. I am not sure what the differences are between a TG-1 or TG-0 or TG-00. Thank you for any help you can provide.

post-73336-069292300 1438793679_thumb.jpg

post-73336-076881200 1438793619_thumb.jpg

post-73336-054278500 1438793632_thumb.jpg

post-73336-094641400 1438793646_thumb.jpg

post-73336-031528500 1438793660_thumb.jpg

This is the 2nd generation of the TG series guitars - the earliest had a unique body style that measured 11" across the lower boot; then when the L style six strings were upgraded from the smaller round body design to the modern L-00/Blues King shape the small tenor was discontinued and subsequent tenors were adapted from the equivalent six string model. I've seen small body tenors from 1930 and possibly even as late as '31. The earliest L-00 sized tenors were 12 frets to the body so yours is a little later.

The number on the heel block is called a factory order number. There's a great book by Joe Spann that lists many of the numbers used in this period so it should be possible to get an idea from that what year your guitar is. Identifying between 0, 00, and 1 styles is confusing but possible if the date is known, and the tenors follow the same changes as six string versions. A sprayed sunburst with a very small centre is suggestive of the mid 30s - earlier guitars having a hand rubbed burst and later ones the more typical large burst. The burst on your guitar looks a little odd but it's sometimes hard to judge from a photo.

I am in no way even close to any kind of an expert on tenor guitars. But if I had to guess I would say yours is a 1932 to 1935 TG-1. Problem is the 4 digit FONs in this period are not in any kind of order. But the "Gibson" logo (minus "The") would date it post 1931. In 1935 Gibson goes to a different FON configuration.

Every '32 example I've seen has been 12 frets to the body, and I've seen several from '33 that have the transitional elevated fingerboard - so I think the 14 fret model probably arrived at some point in '33 following the elevated fingerboard examples. That would narrow it down a little more.

Zomby, what do you think of the sunburst? It kind of looks right for a '34 or '35 but the colour looks odd to me and I can't decide if it's just the photo / monitor.

Based on your assessment of specs, I do think 1933 to 1934 would seem right. The number of frets would place the instrument after 1932. If it was built from 1935 on it would have a very differently configured FON. On the burst, I am leery of judging by a photo for as you said the color will often be off. It does look in the ballpark though. The Kalamazoos and Recording Kings from the period, of course, have a lot of black in the pear edged burst which I always assumed was an attempt to disguise the less than top grade wood used to build them.

Regarding top quality, I've seen a few 30s tenors with three piece tops - pretty sure I've seen an L00 with a three piece top as well but there seem to be more tenors with the feature. I wonder how the tenors were priced compared to the six string version - whether they were cheaper or if it was the same?

In any case, I think you're right that we have this one narrowed down to '33 or '34.

I usually tune in fifths (CGDA low to high) - that's the traditional tuning, then there's octave mandolin tuning (GDAE) that is popular for modern players, and Chicago tuning which is the same as the top four stings of a six sting guitar. The fifth tunings are more common though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived