Gibson Brands Forums

Kindly request help on identifying my guitar

chocolate

Hello,

As you probably can tell, I'm a n00b... :)

I have an Epiphone Les Paul. It was a gift from someone who moved abroad and could not bring it along. I would like to know what kind of model it is, how old, etc. Is there any way to find out more about it? It looks like a Standard, Plain Top, or Tribute (judging from the pics at Gibson.com/Epiphone.com).

On a side note, what is really the difference b/w a real Gibson and an Epiphone? I know that the Epis are made outside the US, and the Gibsons in the US. Also, apparently there is a difference whether the neck is glued or screwed to the body. But is there a difference in sound or robustness?

Thanks. And apologies for my newbie questions.

Matt

Welcome to the forum

First off we need some pics.

We can't tell you anything until we see some here.

As for the difference between Epiphones & Gibsons.

Well over the years they have been made all over the world but recent models are made in China (Korea before that)

They are made with cheaper electronics and woods, but apart from that their isn't that much difference in some Epiphone Limited editions you can find Gibson parts.

They are well made and shouldn't be regarded like Encore & other low cost makes.

Epiphones are roughly 1/2 - 1/5 the price of new Gibson Equivalents (SG £270/£700, Les Paul Standard (£400/£1,600)

Hope that helps

Oh, and one more thing: How do I know what pickups are in there? They're humbuckers, but what type?

Plus, what is the difference b/w a "passive" and an "active" pickup? "Active" sounds like it needs a power supply???

Thanks.

Matt

Once we know the model, we'll know the pickups.

Active pickups require a 9v battery and are hotter than passive pickups. Actives are generally used for hard rock & metal.

Ok, so I got the pictures. Hope this is ok more or less. I know the headstock picture from behind is a bit blurry, I apologize. The windups are rippled lengthwise (that would be "up-to-down" on the picture). It's a bit hard to read, but the number is B10112753, I wonder whether there is any database for this?

Also I attached a second picture with the pickups. They are first shown in normal position, but as can be seen in the other parts of the pic, I can actually rotate them like that. Is this really normal? I thought they would have to be fixed properly???

Anyway, thanks a lot again.

Matt

post-29935-047927900 1295892457_thumb.jpg

post-29935-091464200 1295892464_thumb.jpg

Holy mother of pearl, that was quick! :)

Thank you!!

Would you mind sharing how you can tell these informations by just looking at it? Especially the production date and place? I have always wondered how to tell these guitars apart, and who knows, I may one day want to buy one myself, so it would be a good thing to know.

Again, I really appreciate your help a lot!

Matt

Sorry that's wrong !

I took the serial by eye off the headstock

I did input his code and got November 2010, its not that young!

B101126753

"Your guitar was made at the

Bohemia Musico-Delica Plant, Czech Republic

November 2010

Production Number: 2753"

UPDATE EVEN BETTER NEWS

"Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.1981

Production Number: 12753"

How cool is that! its 30 years old!!!!!!

OK, I have to apologize, I didn't know this would actually matter: The guitar was bought in Germany, I think in 2002 or 2003, or sometime around that. So it definitely is not 2010! [rolleyes]:rolleyes: But 1981? That would be sweet indeed... [drool] But it's hard to imagine, I believe it was bought new back then... I believe, but I don't know.

I can recheck, but I'm 99% sure it is a B1011xxx, not an 8 or a 0 as the first digit. I'll double-check that.

Anyway, how do you guys check this? Which website? I tried the search on the Epiphone homepage, that didn't work at all.

Thanks you guys!

Matt

Haha, yes I saw that post too... that's why I'm not really sure whether I can trust this site.

Another thing someone wrote is that the guitar may actually not be genuine. If this is the case, they can just put any serial number there, it will tell me anything but mean nothing. As far as I know, it was purchased in a "proper" music store in Germany, but of course, one never knows...

Matt

From your writings and the German flag icon, I take it you're German? Me too... :)

It was (if I am not wrong) the MOLU music store in Stuttgart, Germany. As far as I know though, they went out of business quite a while back (maybe they needed to get rid of their stuff???).

What do you mean by "take off the hardware"? You mean, disassemble the guitar? I'd rather not do that, I'm way not proficient enough to plug it all back together again, and it's too nice an instrument to screw it up. I may try a bit more with the serial ID number...

I'll do that, thanks. This will be a long time to go though, since I hardly ever play at all. But looking at parts will only tell me where they were made, not what model and age the guitar is?

Haha, ein "Kraut"... denn bin ich ein "Sauerkraut" weil ausm Sueden... aber auch ein Verraeter weil "ausgewandert"...

• 2 months later...

Archived