Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual tailpiece on my 175

orpheoet

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a question concerning a guitar I recently bought. It's an old ES 175. I know thetuners and tailpiece aren't original. I'm certainly no expert on vitage guitars and this tailpiece has me mystified. Anyone know what it's off of? Is it real Gibson or some weird after market thing. It's very heavy and seems well made. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a question concerning a guitar I recently bought. It's an old ES 175. I know thetuners and tailpiece aren't original. I'm certainly no expert on vitage guitars and this tailpiece has me mystified. Anyone know what it's off of? Is it real Gibson or some weird after market thing. It's very heavy and seems well made. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

[thumbup] Thanks... I wasn't sure you were still here.

That looks like a reissue type tailpiece. The old one may have broken at the hinge (not an uncommon problem). If you wanted to, I'm sure you could find a vintage part on ebay or from a dealer somewhere. Might be worth investigating.

Oops, sorry- I got confused. Thought your comment about the tailpiece was referring to the guitar. Yeah, the tailpiece could be 70's... not sure. If I were you, I'd shop around for an original tailpiece. They're not rare (they were used on a number of different models), and it would help the value of your guitar.

Archived