Gibson Brands Forums

Year and model?

Apeshit502

Hello! As far as serial numbers are concerned, please refer to this: http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf. If You want to identify the submodel, post some pictures and it will be answered too. :) Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the info.

but the page from the link could not be found.

And as far as pictures. i don't know how to up load pictures ](*,)

The guitar dater project site helps for most Gibson guitars. Gibson themselves advise the info is not entirely foolproof but it works almost all of the time.

Here's the link;

http://guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

As for posting pictures; you'll need to register with a host site. Most here use Photobucket. It's easy, quick and free.

Here's how;

http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

Hope that helps.

P.

The guitar dater project site helps for most Gibson guitars. Gibson themselves advise the info is not entirely foolproof but it works almost all of the time.

Here's the link;

http://guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

As for posting pictures; you'll need to register with a host site. Most here use Photobucket. It's easy, quick and free.

Here's how;

http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

Hope that helps.

P.

FINALY [laugh]

Thanks a lot.

And the Guitar was made september 2001.

for the idiot i am this may not be correct. but if pure luck helps me there should be pictures here now... [-o<

HEHEHE..

that explains a lot. [cursing]

LOL! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

The guitar would appear to be a 'Studio Lite' - the single cutaway, small crown inlays, un-bound neck and body and the dressed-away back all point heavily in that direction. The only oddity is the 'Special' silkscreen on the peghead but I'm hardly an expert on the model.

I can't tell from the pictures if there is a top-carve. All of the single-cut Studios I've seen have a top-carve whereas the 'Special' has a flat-top. Is there such a thing as a 'Studio Lite Special' I wonder?

If you send the serial number to Customer Services they would be able to confirm exactly what it is.

P.

Thanks for good useful info [thumbup]

I`m pretty new to gibson u see.. well guitar in general actually. I`ve only had one guitar. An LTD EC1000. with 81-60 EMG.

And I`ve been happy with that for years.. but I tried out my friends LP A few weeks ago and I was Hooked!!

LOL! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

The guitar would appear to be a 'Studio Lite' - the single cutaway, small crown inlays, un-bound neck and body and the dressed-away back all point heavily in that direction. The only oddity is the 'Special' silkscreen on the peghead but I'm hardly an expert on the model.

I can't tell from the pictures if there is a top-carve. All of the single-cut Studios I've seen have a top-carve whereas the 'Special' has a flat-top. Is there such a thing as a 'Studio Lite Special' I wonder?

If you send the serial number to Customer Services they would be able to confirm exactly what it is.

P.

After a lot of searching on the inter web I found out my guitar is a "Special SL"

So i guess that means there is such a guitar as studio lite Special. [thumbup]

Thank the guitar gods..

I was beginning to think it was just a very good Fake :(

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of searching on the inter web I found out my guitar is a "Special SL"

So i guess that means there is such a guitar as studio lite Special. [thumbup]

Thank the guitar gods..

I was beginning to think it was just a very good Fake :(

I was just going to tell you it's a Special SL made on September 6th, 2001. The SL stands for Sans Lacquer. It came with a base coat and clear coat of polyurethane, enough to hold the paint on and that's about it. A rep around here said that's the only way Gibson could get the cost under $1000. He said lacquer takes 7 to 11 days depending on the build and poly takes 5 hours from bare wood to finished dry guitar. It's UV-poly, whatever that is? Dried under sun lamps?

They were made for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend from 1998 until 2006 and sold new for $599. It has 490R and 498T humbuckers. Most people, for whatever reason, never liked those pickups and thought it sounded like crap? Hence whoever changed mine to EMG's? I've owned 40 Customs and would put the sound of this thing up against any of them. Being lighter and all I love this thing and will never sell it! Plus, it's just weird and different, I like that! And as you can see by the light strip in mine has a 3-piece solid body.

I just bought a red '98 one with EMG 81/85's myself. The little gash next to my tailpiece is the only thing wrong with it. They started with the dot inlays and went to the mini traps in 2001. I never found a reason, but I think Gibson did it to enhance the looks? They didn't sell as well as they wanted, so I believe they wanted to dress it up more?

100_0659.jpg100_0566.jpg100_0658-1.jpg

Funny thing too, my headstock actually says "Special SL" where all the others just say "Special". [confused]

Archived