Gibson Brands Forums

gibson archtop "soundpost"?

orpheoet

Hi all,

So I'm a fan of the Barney Kessel model. I just picked one up that has 2 supporting structures from top to back. I believe it's a 68. Now my 67 BK has no such thing. its completely hollow. What's the deal?! is this a change that was made or was my 67 modified?

That's more of a Gretsch feature... I've never heard of Gibson doing that. Somebody probably was familiar with the Gretsch soundpost thing and decided to insert them. Should be pretty easy to remove if you decide to, and won't hurt the value of the guitar. The more important question is... is that a black refin, or an original custom order in black?! Either way, I love it. [thumbup] Now that you have two BK's, can I have one of them? ;) (my first Gibson archtop was a '64 BK that I bought in 1981... I traded it away about five years later, and of course I've missed it ever since).

The finish is a bit of a mystery. It's defininitly top coated in nitro but the finish underneath is quite checked and cracked. I think it was black originally. The binding is quite yellow. Original electronics, tuners, pickguard, WOODEN bridge, tailpiece, badge. I took the badge and pickguard off. Dust covers still on pots and jack. It sounds amazing.

Archived