Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on trem

Izzy

Hi all...

I now have two trem guitars (including my new best friend, Squire) and have discovered: THE JOY OF GHOST NOTES

I don't like the buzzzz and I did a search on how to make it quiet. There have been several vids:

One dude put coins in the back where the springs are in the space thats free and that seemed very wrong. [scared]

Another dude just said to put rubber tubes inside the springs. [glare]

Another dude said a soft piece of foam in the cavity touching the springs would do the trick. :-k

I also saw a vid on making them hardtail once and for all...but I don't want to mess with the pitch or set up or wind up having to adjust the truss or whateverness...

What's ya'll's sugestion?

Buzz? It depends on what is "buzzing"

I think the only thing I have ever heard from the springs is maybe a "ring" or a reverb-type deal that can be kinda nice...if you care at all.

I don't mean to complicate your life, but when it comes to a Strat trem, you have to decide if you want it floating (can go up or down by working the bar), or if you want down-only, where it normally rest flat on the body and you can still use the bar to go down in pitch.

I DON'T know which way you have it now.

I also pause here to say, that setting up Strat trems, intonation, and action height is pretty easy, and easy to learn on.

There ARE a couple things you should know: IF you are going to do the flaoting trem set-up, it WILL take some practice tuning the guitar, and keeping it in tune. Because every time one string goes out of tune, the rest will. AND every time you wang on the bar, it will potentially go out of tune. The "skill" or practice involed with that is how to bend the strings and wang the bar and such to get it to a point where you can get to back in tune, or keep it in tune. It's an art.

The other thing to know is adjusting the tention is pretty easy and versital. You can add or subtract springs, AND adjust the claw in the back turning the screws to adjust it. If you use light gauge strings, then you could use 2 springs adjusted tighter, or 3 springs adjusted looser. There isn't any magic or modding involved to "block" it- just tighten the springs until it's against the body. You can also adjust out that "reverb" effect adding or subtracting springs. They sell extra springs all day long pretty much anywhere.

I could write a book, but if I know what chapter you want to read, it would be easier to know what it is you want to know.

The buzz comes from the trem...all my notes buzz when I strum closed or open but the vibrations stop when I apply gentle pressure on the bridge. Sorry I'm not explicit enough. :unsure:

I heard also that it is harder to bend strings with the tremolo than with the hardtail. [mellow]

The buzz comes from the trem...all my notes buzz when I strum closed or open but the vibrations stop when I apply gentle pressure on the bridge. Sorry I'm not explicit enough. :unsure:

I heard also that it is harder to bend strings with the tremolo than with the hardtail. [mellow]

Looking up NGD and photo, it appears to me that the trem is flat against the body.

If it is just barely touching, it can vibrate against the body. Solution: take the cover off the back, and you will find springs, attached to the block on one end, and to a plate or "claw" on the other end. There should be 2 screws that hold the "claw" to the body.

Tighten these two screws on the end of the claw. That will make the trem solid against the body on the top, and won't vibrate. (if that is what is the cause-I think it is, just guessing).

Also, where the saddles are, you see there are two little allen screws for hieght adjustment. Sometimes, one of the screws will not be touching the base plate- it kinda rattles loose, and the saddle can sit wedged in only resting on one screw. All you have to do there is screw then down until the saddle moves a little or the screw stops.

I think it's the first thing, so try that first. If the second thing doesn't do it, we shall proceed from there.

Archived