Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Marauder

scottym3

Hello all, I'm new here but not new to Gibsons. I've had many in my time and I've got a question about a Marauder.

My best bud of over 40 years passed this last September and I inherited his Marauder, which is in pretty good shape,

a few dents from belt buckles in the back. but the main question I have is this... this guitar has a 6 digit SN then under that is stamped Made in USA.

I recently went to ebay to check out their going prices and found two in particular in the natural finish like mine but on the back of the headstock

their SN's were 8 digits, it also had the Made in USA, but also it was stamped Marauder.

Now, according to the Gibson site a 6 digit Gibson with a 400,000 number was made in 74/75. Could mine be in one of the first batches? or did Gibson just

stamp numbers randomly? Could this be worth more than the two on Ebay? both of wihich were asking over $1000 but were in much better condition, Mint they say.

Just curious to know a bit more of what I have.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me

Scotty.

Hello all, I'm new here but not new to Gibsons. I've had many in my time and I've got a question about a Marauder.

My best bud of over 40 years passed this last September and I inherited his Marauder, which is in pretty good shape,

a few dents from belt buckles in the back. but the main question I have is this... this guitar has a 6 digit SN then under that is stamped Made in USA.

I recently went to ebay to check out their going prices and found two in particular in the natural finish like mine but on the back of the headstock

their SN's were 8 digits, it also had the Made in USA, but also it was stamped Marauder.

Now, according to the Gibson site a 6 digit Gibson with a 400,000 number was made in 74/75. Could mine be in one of the first batches? or did Gibson just

stamp numbers randomly? Could this be worth more than the two on Ebay? both of wihich were asking over $1000 but were in much better condition, Mint they say.

Just curious to know a bit more of what I have.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me

Scotty.

Can you post some pictures of the guitar?

Try entering the serial number into the Guitar Dater Website, and see if it can give you the year.

Here is the blue book info on a marauder:

post-52921-057447000 1366722039_thumb.jpg

Now, according to the Gibson site a 6 digit Gibson with a 400,000 number was made in 74/75. Could mine be in one of the first batches?

Yes, it is one of the early ones. The Marauder was a new model during this period, and I believe it first showed up in the 1975 catalog.

Gibson changed from the 6-digit serial number system to the 8-digit with prefix code in mid-75, and again to the current 8-digit coded system around 1978. So even the 8-digit system changed during this period.

Just because this is an early example of a Marauder does not make it more valuable than one stamped with a different serial number system. The value of any instrument is determined by "market demand" and specific interest for a particular model/color/year. The Marauder has never generated any "particular interest" among players or collectors.

Archived