Gibson Brands Forums

Prophesy GX LP - pickup settings

CheapShoes

Hi. I picked up a used Prophesy Les Paul a few months back. I guess it is version 2 (has two knobs, and the neck set further out at the 18th fret, instead of the 15th fret in v.1; and v.3 has four knobs and different pickups). hot and bright Gibson Dirty Fingers reissue pups in both positions.

My observation is mostly about the pickups. I'm not a metal player, nor anything heavier than 70s rock really. However, I still like these pickups. Lately I've set them way down - the neck pickup is about 1mm below the guitar top, and pushing the string on the 24th fret, the bridge at 4.5mm below the strings. This setting gives a nice Alnico II like PAF tone. Like a Pearly Gates pickup. The neck is still a bit louder than the bridge, but great woman tone, and matches the bridge with traditional mids position tones.

Higher "normal" pickup settings gives a very very hot and fat pickup. Cool but not a lot of use for me. Also these pull on the strings and will cause fret rattle set high.

Cool but not a lot of use for me. Also these pull on the strings and will cause fret rattle set high.

Never heard of that before.

My 25 / 50 has series 7 pickups - the "original" dirty fingers I suppose, but both pickups are set pretty as normal distance with a pretty low action.

If I had one of those, I'd take out the Dirty Fingers and put in a set of good PAF's.

Yes totally agreed, it will happen eventually. Cash baby. But yeah, it's gonna happen.... Keep my eyes open for deals - used no problem.

Never heard of that before.

My 25 / 50 has series 7 pickups - the "original" dirty fingers I suppose, but both pickups are set pretty as normal distance with a pretty low action.

I was getting a lot of rattle which appeared to improve after lowering. After a little on-line research about pickup heights II found that was a reported issue with pups using strong magnets, Now my own anecdotal account isn't hard data, and only one data point but it does stand to reason.

Archived