Gibson Brands Forums

Neeed some help

N3K0_MURF

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Juniour, that I got with my Rocksmith game and all that, and unfortunately my house burnt down. The guitar is currently a little beat up, and has some mild smoke damage, I was just wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions as to how to clean it, and restore it to at least close to the original shine?

I have Ernie Ball guitar polish, and a special cloth for it, but that didn't help. The truss rod, bridge, tuning knobs, and frets are all tarnished beyond belief.

I think your best bet would be to take it to a luthier or your local guitar shop.

You don't want to use anything that might damage the finish or the frets.

Even though I used lighter fluid on my fretboard to clean the dye off when I first got mine.

Good Luck

Actually as sgtb2000 said, Naptha which is another name for lighter fluid, is a great cleaner for guitar hardware.

You can even leave stuff soak in it with no harmful effects.

Use it, and a toothbrush to clean the chrome. Wipe it off with a soft rag.

Be careful. It is a fire hazard. And, it will harm the finish if you spill and let it sit on the guitar.

It's always best to remove the hardware from the guitar.

I wouldn't use the naptha on the frets. If you use too much, it can soak into the wood and loosen the frets.

Use 000 steel wool for the frets, or buy some scotchbrite pads.

If you use steel wool, make sure you tape off the pickups. The magnets in the pickups will attract any fine particles of wool that get loose.

Archived