Gibson Brands Forums

2009 Epi SG G-400

bluezguy

Greetings ... I picked up this Epi for a song due to the fact that the previous owner had tried to do his own fret buzz elimination job. Somehow, he managed to take fret #9 down too low and now, the instrument plays the same note on BOTH frets 9 & 10. A straight edge showed me the problem. These frets look like the ones on my SG Standard but I come to you folks to make sure. Hey Gibson Support guys ... are these frets manufactured by Dunlop and, are they 6150s?I will be doing a re-fret across the whole board.

No one seems to know, but if you're doing a total refret, pick the fret wire you prefer.

Thanks for your response. I took it upon myself to heat the offending fret then pull it out with 'nippers' (after I scored both sides with an ultra fine blade). It came out perfectly. I put my calipers to it and measured the width to be a .106" and the height came out to be .039". That .039" was the give away for the fret height. The stock height of all the other frets is .047" . This IS the old Gibson size that was a standard many years ago - .106" x .047" - and THIS IS THE EPI G-400 SG fret size in my guitar.

The only vendor I could find who had this perfect size readily available is ALLPARTS. The part # is LT-0472-000 and costs a meager $5 & change for a 2 foot length. It is nickel silver and is the genuine thing called "STANDARD OLD JUMBO FRET WIRE". Stew Mac does NOT carry this size.

Again, this info pertains ONLY to my 2009 G-400 Epi SG.

The package will arrive today and I look forward to doing this job ... it is not difficult and special tools ARE NOT REQUIRED. What is required is care and patience, lay off the sugar cookies that morning, don't light that joint, and, have at 'er.

I'll let you know how it goes.

How long did it take you to learn to do a good refret job? Sometime, before too long, I'm going to have to think about refretting a couple of guitars I have. So far I've rewired my dot (easy), made some pickups (not as hard as you'd think), and an amp (ditto - although it was only a very simple 5F1 champ). I kind of like DIY because you learn some skills and save a pile of cash but I'm wondering if fretwork is something you can just jump into without much experience - or is it the kind of job where you have to take yourself off to a remote monastery in the mountains where apprentice luthiers study for years before they are ready.

How long did it take you to learn to do a good refret job? Sometime, before too long, I'm going to have to think about refretting a couple of guitars I have. So far I've rewired my dot (easy), made some pickups (not as hard as you'd think), and an amp (ditto - although it was only a very simple 5F1 champ). I kind of like DIY because you learn some skills and save a pile of cash but I'm wondering if fretwork is something you can just jump into without much experience - or is it the kind of job where you have to take yourself off to a remote monastery in the mountains where apprentice luthiers study for years before they are ready.

It took a lot less time than making a quality head of Hagus![thumbup] McGruff .. it only took about 2 minutes to pull out my first fret ever. Maybe 5 minutes to measure, cut and shape fret# 9. The, maybe 2 more minutes to install. I haven't finished off the ends with the taper yet ... can do it later. Right now, the problem the guitar came with is SOLVED!!! The height and width are perfect relative the other 23 frets.

I would now not fear going into a complete re-fret if I really needed to. I'm gonna gloat for a few days on this one.[love]

Like you, I wound my firs PAF clones a few weeks ago. They came out so good, I installed them in my SG Standard - replacing the 57 Classics that were it her. Maybe I'm just gettin' real lucky in my old age. Aren't you on the pickup forum??? I've had a couple comments and input on my new hobby from a guy named 'McGruff'. PM me for a list of basic tools I used for this fret stuff.

Archived