Gibson Brands Forums

Help with identification

Tudorp

hello,

It's been awhile since I been on the forum. I just recently picked up a Franken/Gibson of sorts, and I would love to find out what this guitar is, or used to be. The story is that it was build by a Gibson employee some time ago and is built from a "parts". It is a "project" and was never finished. I am trying to find out what this guitar was, or is. I am pretty sure the neck isn't original to the body, but both are made from curly maple and seem to match in wood, and bindings. I had thought the body might have been a Les Paul Jr. Double cut, but I believe those are all flat top. This one is a carved top. I thought maybe a melody maker? But I also think those were flat tops. There is no rout for a bridge pick up, but is one at the neck position. It might have been a "blank" body maybe? It has one one pick up in it, that I am pretty sure it isn't a Gibson pickup. The pot that is in it, is a Gibson pot I think though. The headstock inlay looks like it is a Joe Pass Emperor style of graphic, but those were only on Epiphone I think? Did Gibson use this graphic on any Gibson headstocks? Any help in identifying the neck, and/or body would be greatly appreciated. I would like to find out more about this guitar. It has a stamped in 7 digit serial #. The tuners have markings on the body of them that say "made in W Germany" and I think they are Schaller. I would like to figure out what those are as well. Here are some pictures to help in identifying this guitar. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P1090924_zpse0282fe1.jpg

gibson3_zps579b41cc.jpg

gibson2_zps5cbbf8ae.jpg

gibson6_zpsd0011780.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived